function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
avaragadoavaragado 

Per-case access control

In the self-service portal, a self-service user can view (and add comments to and add attachments to) all cases they've created, and - if and only if they're a self-service superuser - all cases created by other self-service users associated with the same account.

Is there any mechanism to allow finer-grained access control? Here's the use case:

A case created by a customer in the self-service portal may need input from more than one person in that customer's company, on a per-case basis. We'd like to associate each case with a list of those people, so they can be notified when the case is updated.

I've dug into the documentation and it looks like switching to the customer portal plus a bunch of account-specific sharing rules might get me somewhere, but it seems a little unwieldy and - if I'm reading the doc correctly - still doesn't seem to give me per-case access control.

It strikes me that the simplest and cheapest approach to the access control issue, though not ideal, is to make all self-service users superusers. (The notification is another problem, since Salesforce doesn't appear to support triggers on CaseComment. But ignore that.)

Any suggestions from the group?
avaragadoavaragado
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
MarkSilberMarkSilber
The good news ... Workflow on Case Comments should be coming in Summer 08 (similar to workflow on Email that was released in Spring 08).

The bad news ... not sure how you can get the fine grained sharing using existing functionality. We have similar issues where there may be a bunch of people who need to collaborate on Case and want to be kept in the loop on all updates, etc. We have developed some custom Apex code and S-Controls to do some of this, but it's not a complete solution.

Salesforce is also working on a "Case Teams" concept, but I'm not sure when that will be released. From what I understand, Case Teams could be made up of internal and external users, which I think would solve the problem you presented.

Mark
avaragadoavaragado
Thanks Mark!