function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mnoorgatmnoorgat 

API access / sforce Excel Connector - Security

Hi,

I'm really not sure if this is the correct place to post this message, so apologies if I shouldn't be.

I wonder, is it possible to disable sforce Excel Connector access for some users?  There is a need to prevent some users from using the Excel connector (actually they don't need to use any third party tools to access SF).  They should still be able to log into SalesForce via the website.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

mnoorgat

Message Edited by mnoorgat on 09-15-2005 03:50 PM

Ron HessRon Hess
no way that I know of to block by user access to the API, connector or other tools will work based on role, profile and security settings.

this sounds like a good feature request !
mnoorgatmnoorgat

Ron,

Thank you for your reply.

I wonder, how does one submit a feature request?

Kind Regards,

mnoorgat

Ron HessRon Hess

on your salesforce page, under Help and Training, click on Support, then "Log A Case"

set the Case Reason to be Feature Request

i would guess this would be implemented as a checkbox on the user "Profile" page, rather than a user by user permission.

mnoorgatmnoorgat
Thanks again Ron.
ccl1111ccl1111

Ron,

Does the connector work completely independently of the Office Edition?

I know the Office Edition says it "gives you access only to the reports and fields that you can normally access in Salesforce. You must have the "Run Reports" and "Export Reports" permissions to access reports in Excel."

If it leverages the Office Edition, I'm guessing those will still apply.  If it doesn't, I'm not sure what the case is.

Through some testing, it appears that users can only access & edit records they own???

I may be way off base though.

Thanks!

Chris

ScotScot

Chris,

The Connector uses the Office Edition Toolkit as its method for calling the sforce API.  Thus, it is not completely independent of the office edition. On the other hand, the documention for the office edition focuses almost entirely on the features which allow running embedded reports within Excel, something that the Connector does not do.

Your best model is that the Connector access mirrors what the user has access to via the API. As such, they
    > would have access only to the fields which they can normally access in salesforce.com

The other limitations quoted in the documentation for the office edition:
    > must have "Run Reports" permission
    > must have "Export Reports" permission

do not apply to the toolkit, and therefore do not apply to the Connector.