function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rgrantrgrant 

sforce connector xla - can you execute a report like the office edition?

I found the problem...you need to download and use the latest version of the Office Edition for the new connector to work...I had 1.2.0.1 installed.

But this brings up another problem....I use the Office Edition extensively for internal use and for utilities we supply our clients.

I have opened 2 cases against the Office Edition re: bugs (#478411 and 458111)...both involve problems with the newer version of the Office Edition 1.3.1.10 vs. 1.2.0.1

I would like to use the sforce connector; however, the bugs mentioned above are forcing me to stay with the old version of the Office Edition.

So, my question is can you run a report from the sforce connector...this way I can write my own code and not rely on your (protected) Office Edition project.

To explain the bugs quickly....
a) the last modified date in the hidden worksheet is not getting properly updated in v1.3.1.10 (worked in v1.2.0.1)

b) if you reference cells in a sheet containing a imported report from sfdc, if on a subsequent refresh the number of rows decreases the referenced cells get a #REF!. Again, this occurs in v1.3.1.10 not v1.2.0.1.

For (b) I think you are not executing a ClearContents, but rather a "cut"...not sure.

So the best would be a bug fix to the Office Edition...then I can start using the connector for "new" work not retrofitting the report pull. However, I will do whatever to make it work.....
The_FoxThe_Fox
Hello,

Of course you can.

As a matter of fact you can go further because you can make "Join" on the Excel spreadsheets and with a litlle macro what is left to your user is to push a button on Excel provided you have installed the sforce connector to him.

Regards
rgrantrgrant

Thanks for the answer...I can execute table queries with sforce connector and get the same results as a report (I think....I haven't looked deeply enough to see if you can group and sort? - I don't want to have my user do any manipulation of data in excel)...

But the question was how do a reference and execute a report that exists in the report module of sf.com?

Ron HessRon Hess

sorry,

the excel_connector only uses the API, and I know that the reports within the Salesforce application are not visible using the sforce API

you can mimic most reports using the connector, and the crude join feature, however it will be much slower if you have a large result set.

group and sort are not built into the connector, you need to use excel's features to get this, perhaps a macro to do the sort, the query via the API ( therefore the connector ) does not return sorted results.

Message Edited by Ron Hess on 05-26-2005 10:43 PM

benjasikbenjasik
Could you use office edition to get the report data, and the excel connector to manipulate the data?
rgrantrgrant

Thanks Ron...the issue is that to do a sort with more than 1 column of data and sorted based upon more than 1 (up to 3) sort order is non-trivial code.....do you know of any open source sorting routines that do this?

Also,

o can you call the Query All Tables (in sheet and workbook) from a macro? (seems like the single table query is sfQuery()...

o can you hide the sforce connector add-in programatically from a macro?

o can you grey out line items in the sforce connector programatically?

Thanks for your quick responses and attention to this.....

rgrantrgrant

yes...but if you want to write a generic spreadsheet that would work over multiple instances of sf.com....you have to recreate the report in each instance vs. writing a single spreadsheet "template"