function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SatgurSatgur 

LATEST Force.com IDE for Summer'09 release??

I have signed up for Summer 09 pre-release.

Since preview release note mention that latest force.com IDE (summer 09) can now work with Eclipse 3.4 as well.

I did install Eclispe 3.4 and installed Force.com IDE plug-in. 

But I can fetch only 15.0.2 (Spring'09 April 2009 release), using http://www.adnsandbox.com/tools/ide/install/ as the remote site for fetching new release of the plug-in.

Appreciate if you can guide as to whether I need to continue using CONSOLE for all development in Summer 09 pre-release or I can test latest force.com IDE features (which is now Eclipse 3.4 compatible) as part of Summer 09 release exploration.

- Satgur 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JonPJonP

Actually, you can use the Force.com IDE with a newer version of the Force.com platform, because our server-side releases (and most importantly in this case, APIs) are backward compatible.

On the other hand, the Force.com IDE is not backward compatible, which is why we don't release new major versions until after all organizations have been upgraded.

So you can use the 15.0.x (or older) IDE with a Spring '09 (API 15.0) or Summer '09 (API 16.0) organization.  But when the 16.0.0 IDE is released it will require Summer '09 (API 16.0) or later--which will be fine, because by that time all servers will be on Summer '09.

That said, things get slightly complicated when you get down to individual files/versions.  For instance, if you create a Force.com project against a Summer '09 organization, you can use Summer '09 Apex features but the IDE will not necessarily know about them, for the purposes of code assist etc.

The version of an Apex class is declared in its .cls-meta.xml file, independent of the version of the IDE or API.  That means the 15.0.x IDE lets you retrieve, edit, save and deploy a 16.0 Apex class, but you wouldn't be able to deploy that class to a 15.0 organization because the server would reject it. And if you create an Apex class from the 15.0.x IDE (rather than in the browser) it will be created as a 15.0 class, I believe, but you can always change it by editing that .cls-meta.xml file.

I hope that clears things up--the IDE vs. server vs. file versions can be a bit confusing.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

All Answers

JonPJonP
The Force.com IDE for Summer '09 has not yet been released.  The latest version is still 15.0.2.
SatgurSatgur

Thanks for confirmation.

However wanted to validate my understanding here - 15.0.2 (force.com plug-in) can only work with Spring'09 ORGS. Is that right?

So if I am working on Summer09 Org (pre-release), there is no way I can use my existing Eclipse environment (version 3.3.2, force.com plug-in 15.0.2) to create new Apex, Visualforce.

As new components that I create in Eclipse would ALWAYS be based on API 15.0 (corresponding to Spring 09), and not latest API in pre-release org (i.e. 16.0 for summer).

So I have to stick to Salesforce Console to try out new Apex/VF features (16.0 API).

Since I have started development recently, I wanted to confirm if this is the right understanding on how force.com IDE releases work alongside Salesforce Org/API releases

JonPJonP

Actually, you can use the Force.com IDE with a newer version of the Force.com platform, because our server-side releases (and most importantly in this case, APIs) are backward compatible.

On the other hand, the Force.com IDE is not backward compatible, which is why we don't release new major versions until after all organizations have been upgraded.

So you can use the 15.0.x (or older) IDE with a Spring '09 (API 15.0) or Summer '09 (API 16.0) organization.  But when the 16.0.0 IDE is released it will require Summer '09 (API 16.0) or later--which will be fine, because by that time all servers will be on Summer '09.

That said, things get slightly complicated when you get down to individual files/versions.  For instance, if you create a Force.com project against a Summer '09 organization, you can use Summer '09 Apex features but the IDE will not necessarily know about them, for the purposes of code assist etc.

The version of an Apex class is declared in its .cls-meta.xml file, independent of the version of the IDE or API.  That means the 15.0.x IDE lets you retrieve, edit, save and deploy a 16.0 Apex class, but you wouldn't be able to deploy that class to a 15.0 organization because the server would reject it. And if you create an Apex class from the 15.0.x IDE (rather than in the browser) it will be created as a 15.0 class, I believe, but you can always change it by editing that .cls-meta.xml file.

I hope that clears things up--the IDE vs. server vs. file versions can be a bit confusing.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

This was selected as the best answer
SatgurSatgur

thanks Jon. This explanation summed up "IDE vs Server release" issue very clearly.

Appreciate your help.

SekharSekhar

Looks like 16.0 is now available - my Eclipse just tried to upgrade. However, I'm getting the below error, any ideas?

An error occurred during provisioning.

Error reading signed content.

The file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.platform.agentcontroller_4.2.202.v200902101418" does not exist

[Edit]

This was an issue with my Eclipse setup. After fixing that, 16 installed fine and was able to update the 15 project. 

Message Edited by Sekhar on 06-16-2009 06:02 AM