function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CTU007CTU007 

how to use excel connector to insert new record to a record type

Hi, I have several record types in a custom object. Now I am thinking about using excel connector to insert new record, and this new record should be one of the existing record types.
Is there a way to do this? How?

Thanks.
jf317820jf317820
Each object record type has a corresponding Id.  When you're creating the record, simply insert the correct record type Id in the Record Type column in the row of data you're inserting. 

Message Edited by jf317820 on 10-24-2006 11:48 AM

CTU007CTU007

Thanks for the reply. But the "Record Type" field is not available to be shown in the column so I manually created this column and put the record type ID there, after that, when I tried to insert new record using excel connector, I got an error msg and I inserted a blank record in another record type.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks.

smoodysmoody
You can't just add columns to the table. This will not work. If you select an object which has multiple record types, you should see a column named "Record Type ID". If it's not there, you may not have multiple record types for that object. Also check to see what version Excel connector your running.
CTU007CTU007
Well I checked, I have 4 record types with this CUSTOM object, and my user can select which record type to create when they click the "New" button, I also saw the "Record Type" field in standard field list section. However, when I use excel connector, the record type id column is not available. I am using connector v6.16 dated Feb 17, 2006.

However, I found this "record type id" is available in "Contract", which is a standard obeject (not custom) having several record types, is this the reason? Can I have "record type id" in custom object?

Thanks a lot.
smoodysmoody
That could very well be the problem. I don't have multiple record types on any of my custom objects so I can't check it.

CTU007CTU007
I think I found a way to handle this. I made the specific record type as default and then use excel connector to insert new record, it worked!!!

This is ok for me for now because I will only use excel connector to create new record for one record type only, otherwise, it will not work.
CTU007CTU007
Any one can give an answer? I created another "read only" record type to lock the record once it is done so I need to use excel connector do change the record for all my old records.
forceAMPforceAMP

Record types for custom objects is a feature that appeared after the the 6.0 API (which is the default API that the Excel Connector uses). You need to modify the Excel Connector's endpoint to a later API endpoint to 'see' the field.

CTU007CTU007

Thanks, forceAMP, can you enlighten me how to "modify the Excel Connector's endpoint to a later API endpoint to 'see' the field"?

Robert DrollingerRobert Drollinger
Changing the API worked for me but I had to change it from 29.0 to 20.0.  
To change the API, Log out of session, then in the login box click on Advanced and at the end of the Server URL there is a number.  Change that number to the API endpoint that you want to use.