function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JakeButlerJakeButler 

Quick Question

I have multiple account records with the same account name (same company, different locations with each location being a parent account).  When I try to import these using the SF Import Wizard, it won't create a new record for each parent.  It just creates the first one, then updates that one record with each parent account entry in my CSV, so I end up with one account record with the parent account of the last entry.

If I were to use the insert function of Mr. Hess' excel connector (with "new" as the account ID) will it create all the accounts for me? Or do I have to change all of the account names so they are all unique?

Thanks, and I'll probably be employing the excel connector regardless if it solves this problem without me having to create all unique account names or not.

Cheers,

Jake Butler
www.universitypipeline.com
www.txtblaster.com

Harry JamesHarry James

Yes, the Connector will create separate accounts.  It does not try to "help" you by deduping in the way that the Import Wizard does.

I have not used the wizard in quite a bit, but, IIRC, it dedupes using both Account Name and Account Site.  If you added a unique Account Site value for each entry, it should create unique Account records.  (But don't take my word for that.)

JohanLiljegrenJohanLiljegren
Do you have access to the API? If so, my tip would be to look at using the Apex Data Loader to import the Accounts. That's what it's designed to do, and officially supported by SFDC.