function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KristinBKristinB 

Excel Connector and Mass Activity Update

I'm a new Salesforce.com customer, although I've consulted and implemented dozens of different CRM applications over the past 15 years.  I can't believe that I can't do any kind of mass activity (other than email) with SFC but I think I may have found my answer in the discussions around the Excel connector.  How do I get the Excel connector?  Please point me in the right direction for the tool and basic user info and I will be eternally grateful!
Harry JamesHarry James

This blog entry has links to the Connector

http://blogs.salesforce.com/features/2006/05/excel_connector.html

JohanLiljegrenJohanLiljegren
Have you looked at using the Apex Data Loader? It's officially supported (which the Excel connector isn't).
KristinBKristinB
I'm not familiar with either the Excel connector or the Apex data loader. What I need to know (and maybe this belongs in the "Best Practices" discussion) is:  What is the best way to create a record of a mass mailing (snailmail, not email)? 

We have a list of about 2500 names.  We are importing 200 at a time, mailing a postcard and following up with a phone call.  We may decide to do a series of mail/call/mail/call.  I have imported the leads with the source and I have the create date as more or less the date of the original mailing, but I really want to create an activity history record for the mailing.  Frankly, I consider this type of activity "CRM 101" and I was dumbfounded to discover that it requires some additional tool.  All I've been able to learn from SFC is that I could use campaigns which "kind of sort of" do what I want - at an additional charge of $180/year PER USER (I'd pay it for one marketing user, but not for every license).  :smileysurprised:

So - I welcome any direction from this community - because I know that what I'm trying to do is pretty normal stuff - nothing remarkable about sending out a piece of mail and phoning to follow up.

Thanks.