function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RRCRRC 

Exporting report data to excel: Data truncation of fields longer than 255 characters

I know this is a know problem but i can't seem to find discussions on possible solutions.

HELP! My users are going to revolt!!!

RRC

kbakerkbaker

Not sure if I understand properly or not but...If you are using the XLS plug-in:

XLS' limit is 32,000 char and should upload to any field in SFDC (important part here) Where the field type is a Memo (Text Area Long) field.  If it is NOT set as such, your connector will blow up.

Now, if you are going from SFDC to Excel, it should not be an issue with the 255 rule.  I have several fields where we capture comments, entire e-mails and verbiage exceeding 255 and they download fine.

If you are just trying to use the export function on the reports screen, then I have no counsel for you other than to install the excel connector and go that route...

Let me know a bit more what you're trying to accomplish and what steps you are taking to do it.

RRCRRC

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually going the other way. I have fields in SF that are set at 500 chars text. Using the Sf add-on for Excel, I pull the report into excel in formatted form. This is where my data gets truncated. my 500 char field will only display 255 chars at the most.