function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SmallbizsalesforceSmallbizsalesforce 

Errors using Excel Connect to load activities

I have an Excel file exported from a third party tool, with a field called "Policy Number". I created a custom account field in salesforce.com. The file contains text entries of activities entered by salespeople over the years. I want to import those activities into salesforce.com so that they are shown related to the accounts. 

I downloaded the Excel Connector, but I get errors every time I try and log into salesforce.com I get the error: "Error generated by request"INVALID LOGIN:Invalid username, password, security token, or user locked out. Exception code 5078."

Any ideas what is causing this? I have tried getting a new security token several times, and the login information is absolutely correct. Help would be most appreciated. I'll pay someone that helps me fix this.

jroyaltyjroyalty

I'm going to have to start with the obvious stuff, because most of the searching I did (Briefly) on this found that it's resolved by addressing the basics. 

The most common cause of this error was not getting the security token in properly.  The security token needs to be pasted in immediately after your password, with your normal login.  So: user@mycompany.com and mypasswordlongsecuritytokenhere should be input in the proper fields.

If that doesn't work, you should check that your user profile has permissions for this -- if you're system admin you should have no problems, if not maybe you can have the system admin assist with this check.

The last idea that I have if none of that works is to try a reinstall of the connector, making sure all the dependencies listed under the Requirements section of http://code.google.com/p/excel-connector/ is installed.  There is a cleaner to uninstall the connector completely under the Featured section (removeExcelConnector.xls)

If none of that works it's something more complicated, which actually provides some basis to look for it -- but I'd need to know that none of the basic stuff fixes it before spending time looking for a more obscure solution would be worthwhile.

Carolyn_AdamsCarolyn_Adams

jroyalty,

Thanks for those tips, I have a similar error and have tried your suggestions here. My issue though, is coming (I think) because I am trying to log in to a different instance of SF than the one I originally installed Excel Connector in. Do you know how this can be done? I am able to log in perfectly to my original account say email@account1.com with my password and security token. Whenever I try the second though (email2@account2.com password2 and security token2) I get the above mentioned error... Also, the instances are on two different instances (NA5 and NA4). I see how to change that in the Data Loader and have done so successfully, is there a similar setting needed for the Excel Connector? Or do you think it is something else entirely.

jroyaltyjroyalty

Hello Carolyn_Adams,

I'm going to just have to make a couple guesses here, because I don't know for sure what could be causing that. I do recall reading about a server setting stored in registry that may have been related to the Excel connector, but mine doesn't seem to care where it connects (The server listed is a generic Salesforce login server)

Are you trying to connect on a clean start of Excel to the second instance? If not, try logging out of the connector, closing Excel completely, then re-opening it and logging in again and see if that helps.

If you have and it's not working, do you have access to a machine that currently doesn't have the connector on it? Can you install the connector there and try to get the second login to work, without ever logging in to the first one?

If you are able to check out the second login on a clean install and it continues to fail, it seems most likely to be a permissions issue for your second user. If it does succeed there, I can dig around and see if I can find that post about the registry (Or not find it, if I'm misremembering)

Carolyn_AdamsCarolyn_Adams

Yes!!! I got it to work out. I don't know if maybe I was still entering the password AND security token after I had whitelisted the IP address, but I tried to whitelist it again and then entered only my password and it logged me in, although I was sure I ahd done that before. . Hopefully it is seemless switching back and forth between instances now.

THANK YOU!