function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JimmyMacJimmyMac 

Implementing Business Rules In Data Loader...

I am brand new to the Data Loader, if I have a business rule that I need to apply to a column before it gets loaded can I implement it in the data loader process or do I need to write special code after the load is done to take care of it.

Is the best practice to do my business logic in a trigger?

Thanks to all for any help.

-Jim

Rahul_sgRahul_sg
You can not implement this rule in the data loader. you can define validation rules in your SFDC org or you can implement trigger /wf depending upon your business requirement.
OR
You can implement those rules on the data (csv files OR database) by transforming /updating the data as per business need and then import that data.
sfdcfoxsfdcfox
The Data Loader doesn't do any transformation of data (except for some limited exceptions, like converting file contents to base-64 blobs, etc). Use Triggers for complex logic, or use Workflow Rules (Field Updates) for simple logic.
HSinghalHSinghal

Hi Jimmy

Just came across your issue.

I was also facing the same problem till few days back. But then I explored Informatica cloud data loader(free unlimited trial edition) which supports defining Business Rule befor data is loaded.

To download it goto:

1)Click Setup->Tools->Informatica Cloud Data Loader.

2)Then install Informatica Cloud secure agent locally on your workstation and you will be up and running.

You can also download the Informatica Cloud Data Loader's guide and refer it to get a hands-on of this data loader.

-HSinghal :)