function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zshahzshah 

"Upshot" didn't follow the rules

Congrats to Upshot, but they totally didn't follow the official rules of the Hackathon. 

This was in the official rules:

"The application you or your team submits must: 
• have been developed solely as part of this Hackathon"

Here is "Upshot" being presented well before the Hackathon was even announced: 
http://www.meetup.com/Salesforce-com-Integration-Analytics/events/136920332/

Quite a farce.

QuangVu.ax1908QuangVu.ax1908
I am hoping Salesforce will respond to this in some official capacity. We might not know the full story, but this initially just sounds bad.
devninjadevninja

If UPSHOT demo'd pretty much the exact same app on October 8th, weeks before the hackathon was even announced, they likely started on it at least 3-4 months before the hackathon and have been working on it ever since. 

This is not only a violation of the hackathon rules, but also the spirit of the hackathon.  Also considering the copious amount of US laws regarding giveaways, it's probably illegal too.

jim.raynorjim.raynor

Glad that I pointed out Logalytics had the same issues, otherwise I am sure it would have been among the winners as well. Too bad, I did not see the other one.

Really a shame that I spent 3 weeks working on an app which was not even installed by the judges. Worse, the YouTube video analytics show they did not even look at my video fully.

piezaspiezas
piezaspiezas

we have to demand this thing gets judged in the open.  it will be painful for them, but there is no other choice that won't still leave this thing tainted.  tweet to #df13 #devzone to demand open rejudging.

SuperSimonSuperSimon

Hi guys,

I just created a listly with the purpose of listing all the apps developed at the Salesforce Hackathon. Please post yours and let the web decide the winner. Just for the glory :-)

http://list.ly/list/BOb-salesforce-1m-hackathon-the-real-winner

Mike LeachMike Leach

Hey Jim,

In the case of Logalytics, we did indeed start development months ago on a native mobile app, which just released on the Apple Store.

But in the spirit of the hackathon, we hacked "from scratch" an entirely new version of the app in Visualforce on Salesforce1. This was a great learning experience for our team as we only had 4 days to pull this app together, which, IMO did not turn out as great as the native version.

We also publicly shared our 'hack' in a blog post before the deadline in an attempt to help others understand how notifications and alerts work in Salesforce1 (something we struggled with for half a day).

I think the lesson learned here is that Hackathons are really no longer about "hacking". They're more like StartUpAThons.

Top Coder's hackathon last week required contestants to spin an API wheel 3 times, then write an app using 2 of the 3 APIs. *That* is the true spirit of hacking; a true test of improvisation and creativity under pressure. 

Perhaps future high purse hackathons should simply just stipulate that all apps should have received $0 funding or revenue prior to entry. This would achieve the desired result of creating an environment where aspiring entrepreneurs go on to launch companies using the prize purse.

I'm sorry the analytics indicate your app was not reviewed. If true, that is just completely wrong and unethical, and I would gladly support your case.

-Mike

piezaspiezas
What if we shopped for a new sponsor? Think of that. Simply, we talk to Microsoft or Google about taking over the entries.