function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jane IsaacJane Isaac 

Need an email alert sent when an email is added to a Closed Case

We have recently had a customer reply vis email using the subject line of a Closed Case. The emails thus got added to a Closed Case and got lost.

Is there a way to create a WFR to trigger an email alert to the Case owner that an email was added to their closed case? I can see how I can build the rule using

AND IsClosed , .........
but there does not appear to be a way to determine when an email was added. I thought about using a Power of One trick but I cannot do a roll-up summary on thte Emails related list on the case.  

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jane
Best Answer chosen by Jane Isaac
Thomas Bille RasmussenThomas Bille Rasmussen
My suggestion: Make the workflow rule Trigger on the email Object itself. Have the workflow rule update the status field on the case from Closed to Reopened or New and have at the same time send an alert to the case owner or alternatively reassign the case to an all-hands queue (in case your rep is on vacation or no longer with your company).

All Answers

My suggestion: Make the workflow rule Trigger on the email Object itself. Have the workflow rule update the status field on the case from Closed to Reopened or New and have at the same time send an alert to the case owner or alternatively reassign the case to an all-hands queue (in case your rep is on vacation or no longer with your company).
This was selected as the best answer
You can absolutely do this with a workflow rule. It's salesforce 101.

Friendly advice: Number one rule of effective salesforce management is do not make things complicated when you don't have to.
Jane IsaacJane Isaac
Thank you all for your help. @Thomas Bille Rasmussen was correct - I was able to do it with a Workflow Rule. I did not realize that the Email Object was available to build a WFR on and saw that one of the criteria I could use in the rule was that the email "Is Incoming".
Glad I was able to help  :)
michelle_wmmichelle_wm
@jane Issc,

Which Email object are you referring to? I can only see Task but not any Email object to write a WFR. 

If the object you are reffering to is Task,  then is it Task:Call Type equals "Inbound"? I could not find a value "Is Incoming".

Also, how did you filter out the email is for a Case?

Appreciate if you post more details to help others.

Thanks.
@michelle_wm the object should be the email object. If you're using email to case or web-to-case and sending the replies from the salesforce the replies will automatically come in on the case. You can use the workflow rule on an email on a case to trigger actions on the case itself such as changing statuses or owner.