function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ifitwalazambia1.3879265308021304E12ifitwalazambia1.3879265308021304E12 

apex trigger after update ID

HI,
I have an object "Financial_Transaction__c" and I create an instance of that object, it triggers the creation of 2 instances of the object "Accounting_Move__c".

Now I don't know how to proceed if I want to update the transaction, so that it updates as well the accounting_move without creating new one.

trigger FinancialTransaction on Financial_Transaction__c (after insert) {

List<Accounting_Move__c> listaccountingmove = new List<Accounting_Move__c>();

for (Financial_Transaction__c ofintran : trigger.New) {

Accounting_Move__c oAccounting_Move = new Accounting_Move__c();
                oAccounting_Move.Accounting_Move_Date__c = ofintran.Date__c;
                oAccounting_Move.Accounting_Move_Description__c = ofintran.Transaction_Description__c;
                oAccounting_Move.Financial_Transaction__c = ofintran.Id;

Accounting_Move__c oAccounting_Move2 = oAccounting_Move.clone();

oAccounting_Move.From_Account__c = ofintran.From_Account__c;
                oAccounting_Move.Transfer_Account__c = ofintran.To_Account__c;
                oAccounting_Move.Transaction_Amount__c = - ofintran.Transaction_Amount__c;
                listaccountingmove.add(oAccounting_Move);

oAccounting_Move2.From_Account__c = ofintran.To_Account__c;
                oAccounting_Move2.Transfer_Account__c = ofintran.From_Account__c;
                oAccounting_Move2.Transaction_Amount__c = ofintran.Transaction_Amount__c;
                listaccountingmove.add(oAccounting_Move2);

}
         insert listaccountingmove;

I know I need {after update}, then I need to find first the Id of the accounting_Move created?  That's when I'm stuck, should I put the SELECT before or after the for?  I've tried a few things, but I always get errors?

Thanks for your advices.

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
It should be after the for and insert command once the Accounting_Move is created in the DATABASE so that you can then get the ID of this newly created record.
Could I then use an upsert instead of an insert?
Thanks Sonam,
I guess my problem is more on how to find the 2 moves to update as it seems like I need to refer to the financial_transaction__c object for that. 

Accouting_Move__C   move1 = SELECT[Id FROM Accounting_Move__c WHERE Financial_Transaction__c = ofintran.Id Limit 1]

this doesn't really work, and I don't know how to differentiate between the 2 move, except that their Id will be one apart. 

Thanks
sunny.sfdcsunny.sfdc
You can do something like this:

trigger FinancialTransactionTrigger on Financial_Transaction__c (after update) {
    Map<Id,Id> mapFTAM = new Map<Id,Id>();
    List<Accounting_Move__c> lstToInsert = new List<Accounting_Move__c>();
    //fetch all existing Accounting Move records associated with triggered Financial Transactions
    List<Accounting_Move__c> lstAM = [select Id,Financial_Transaction__c from Accounting_Move__c where Financial_Transaction__c IN :trigger.new];
    for(Accounting_Move__c am : lstAM){
        mapFTAM.put(am.Financial_Transaction__c,am.Id);//store Accounting Move and Financial Transaction mapping. 
    }
    for(Financial_Transaction__c ft : trigger.new){
        Accounting_Move__c tempAM;
        if(mapFTAM.containsKey(ft.Id)){
            tempAM = new Accounting_Move__c(Id=mapFTAM.get(ft.Id));//if mapping exists simply refer to existing Accounting Move object
        }else{
            tempAM = new Accounting_Move__c();// if mapping does not exists, create a new object
        }
        tempAM.From_Account__c = ft.From_Account__c;
        lstToInsert.add(tempAM);
    }
    if(!lstToInsert.isEmpty())
        upsert lstToInsert;
}

Incase you have multiple Accounting Move with one Financial Transaction, use list as map values to store multiple ids like mapFTPM.put(am.Financial_Transaction__c,new List<Id>{pm1.id,pm2.id....}).

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sachin
GlynAGlynA
Try the code in the following post.  I apologize if there are any typos - I was unable to compile it.

Glyn Anderson
Sr Developer | System Analyst | ClosedWon | closedwon.com
Certified Developer | Certified Advanced Administrator
Twitter: @GlynAtClosedWon
GlynAGlynA
<pre>
trigger FinancialTransaction on Financial_Transaction__c ( after insert, after update )
{
    Map<Id,List<Accounting_Move__c>> map_Moves = new Map<Id,List<Accounting_Move__c>>();

for ( Accounting_Move__c move :
        [   SELECT  Id, Accounting_Move_Date__c, Accounting_Move_Description__c,
                    Financial_Transaction__c, From_Account__c, Transfer_Account__c,
                    Transaction_Amount__c
            FROM    Accounting_Move__c
            WHERE   Financial_Transaction__c IN :trigger.new
        ]
        )
    {
        if ( !map_Moves.containsKey( move.Financial_Transaction__c ) )
        {
            map_Moves.put( move.Financial_Transaction__c, new List<Accounting_Move__c>() );
        }
        map_Moves.get( move.Financial_Transaction__c ).add( move );
    }

List<Accounting_Move__c> listaccountingmove = new List<Accounting_Move__c>();

for ( Financial_Transaction__c ofintran : trigger.new )
    {
        List<Accounting_Move__c> list_Moves = map_Moves.get( ofintran.Id );

Accounting_Move__c oAccounting_Move =
          list_Moves != null && list_Moves.size() >= 1 ? list_Moves[0] : new Accounting_Move__c();

oAccounting_Move.Accounting_Move_Date__c            = ofintran.Date__c,
        oAccounting_Move.Accounting_Move_Description__c     = ofintran.Transaction_Description__c,
        oAccounting_Move.Financial_Transaction__c           = ofintran.Id
        oAccounting_Move.From_Account__c                    = ofintran.From_Account__c;
        oAccounting_Move.Transfer_Account__c                = ofintran.To_Account__c;
        oAccounting_Move.Transaction_Amount__c              = - ofintran.Transaction_Amount__c;
        listaccountingmove.add( oAccounting_Move );

Accounting_Move__c oAccounting_Move2 =
          list_Moves != null && list_Moves.size() >= 2 ? list_Moves[1] : new Accounting_Move__c();

oAccounting_Move2.Accounting_Move_Date__c           = ofintran.Date__c,
        oAccounting_Move2.Accounting_Move_Description__c    = ofintran.Transaction_Description__c,
        oAccounting_Move2.Financial_Transaction__c          = ofintran.Id
        oAccounting_Move2.From_Account__c                   = ofintran.To_Account__c;
        oAccounting_Move2.Transfer_Account__c               = ofintran.From_Account__c;
        oAccounting_Move2.Transaction_Amount__c             = ofintran.Transaction_Amount__c;
        listaccountingmove.add( oAccounting_Move2 );
    }
    upsert listaccountingmove;
}
</pre>