function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
developernewbiedevelopernewbie 

Copy value from one object to another object based on criteria

Hello,

I am new to developing code in Apex, so mind my errors. To give you a background of what the current scenario looks like

There is a Master Object  say  Object Master.

Object A and Object B each have a Master -Detail relationship with with Object Master

Object A:
Fields-
-Date
-Amount A

Object B:
Fields-
-Date
-Amount B

What I am trying to achieve in my code is that ;

if date of object A matches date of object B then i would like the value of Amount A equal to Amount B. I am trying to write this in a Class and having trouble getting to this.

The reason there are two objects - Object B is actualzied with a Data Load at end of every month with actual numbers. This then I would like to flow in to Object A so as to show reveue in that object.

Thanks in advance for helping!
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi,

There is a similar situation and code available in the link below, 

http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/23055/trigger-to-update-custom-field-from-another-custom-field-on-a-separate-object

Regards,
Ashish

Thanks Ashish for sharing the thread. Using that as a guidance I tried to write the trigger for my situation but am getting an error in the line with the bold. 

One thing i forgot to mention is that in the below code you will see Custom_Solution__c field. this is on both objects A and B and had master detail relationship with the master object. 

As you can see I am a new and still trying to understand Apex coding. Could you help me with this?

trigger UpdateActualDelivery on ObjectB__c (after insert, after update) {

Set<String> customSolutions = new Set<String>();

for(ObjectB__c objB:trigger.new) {

customSolutions.add(ObjB.Custom_Solution__c);
}

List <ObjectA__c> objA = [SELECT Date__c,Actual_Delivery__c
            FROM ObjectA__c
            WHERE Custom_Solution__c =:customSolutions];

Map <String, ObjB__c> listMap = new Map<String, ObjB__c>();

for(ObjB OB : trigger.new) {

listMap.put(OB.Custom_Solution__c, OB);
}

for (ObjectA__c OA : OARev) {

if(listMap.containsKey(OA.Custom_Solution__c)){

if(OA.Date__c = listMap.get(OA.Custom_Solution__c).Date__c) {

OA.Actual_Delivery__c = listMap.get(OA.Custom_Solution__c).Actual_Delivery__c;
    }
 }
}
update OARev;

}
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi, 

Can you share the error and the description that you are getting on the line so that we can have a better idea. 

Regards,

Ashish

Sure, so i fixed the error, I was not comparing the right way in my if statement. But now I have written the below code and an am still unable to get it to work. There are no errors, just doesnt show the output I desire. 

Here is my actual trigger. Thanks Again everyone!! :)

trigger CustomSolutionRevenue on Custom_Solution__c (after insert, after update) {

CustomRevenue cr = new CustomRevenue();

for(Custom_Solution__c CustomSoln: System.trigger.new){

delete[select id from Custom_Solution_Revenue__c where Custom_Solution__c =:CustomSoln.id];

List <Custom_Solution_Revenue__c> customRevenueToInsert = new List<Custom_Solution_Revenue__c>();

customRevenueToInsert.addAll(cr.CustomRevenueCalculation(CustomSoln));

//Updating Actual Delivery
List <Custom_Solution_Delivery__c> customDel = [Select Custom_Solution__c,id,date__c,actual_delivery__c from Custom_Solution_Delivery__c
                                                 where Custom_Solution__c =:CustomSoln.id];

for (Custom_Solution_Delivery__c cusoDel : customDel){
for(Custom_Solution_Revenue__c csr : [Select Date__c,Actual_Delivery__c from Custom_Solution_Revenue__c where Custom_Solution__c =:CustomSoln.id]){
     if(csr.Custom_Solution__c == cusoDel.Custom_Solution__c){
      system.debug('DO YOU SEE THIS');
        if(csr.Date__c == cusoDel.Date__c){
      system.debug('DID THIS WORK');
      csr.Actual_Delivery__c = cusoDel.Actual_Delivery__c;
     }
     else{csr.Actual_Delivery__c = 0000;}
     customRevenueToInsert.add(csr);
     }
   }//for loop 3
}//for loop 2

//Actions
insert customRevenueToInsert;
} // for loop

} //main trigger

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi, 

Enable debug logs for the user record and look into the logs - it will help understand the error, 

Monitoring | Debug Logs or Logs | Debug Logs, and then click View next to the debug log you want to examine. Click Download

http://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=code_viewing_log_details.htm&language=en_US

Regards,
Ashish
Christan G 4Christan G 4
I know I am late to the party (lol) but I believe the following code would work in your situation.

Note:
- Based on the situation you've given regarding if Object A's date matches to Object B's date, that you would like for Amount A to equal Amount B, I am assuming that this will occur before the record is saved since records within Trigger.new is read-only. Thus, these changes must occurr before the record is saved. I also changed the object that the trigger is based on from Object B to Object A since we are comparing new or updated Object A records to Object B.
- No DML statements were necessary since these changes occurr before the records is created or updated in the database.
- I didn't test this code, so I apologize for any typos that I may have made.
- I added comments so that is easier to follow the process:

Code Logic:
trigger UpdateActualDelivery on ObjectA__c (before insert, before update) {

//Setup
//Gather all Object B records and store within a list via SOQL
List <ObjectB__c> objB = [SELECT Date__c,Actual_Delivery__c
                                           FROM ObjectB__c];

//Create new Map to store Date values from Object B and its records
Map <Date, ObjectB__c> objBMap = new Map <Date,ObjectB__c>();

//Store values within Map using for loop from objB list
for (ObjectB__c singObjB : objB) {

objBMap.put(singObjB.Date__c, singObjB);  

}

//Execute
//Iterate through the Trigger.new records
for (ObjectA__c singObjA : Trigger.new) {

//Logic: If the objBMap contains a key that is equivalent to the Date value within the object A record, then it is confirmed that there is
       //           at least one object B record that has a date that matches the Object A record. Thus, this will return true and execute the rest of the
       //           code.

if (objBMap.containsKey(singObjA.Date__c)) {

singObjA.Actual_Delivery__c = objBMap.get(singObjA.Date__c).Actual_Delivery__c;

}

}

}