function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
akallioWileyakallioWiley 

Debugging In IE?

I have a visualforce page that works fine in Chrome and in Firefox, but does a strange thing in IE. So, far I have confirmed it happens in IE 9 & 10.

The page is basically just a form for entering addresses. In IE when the Save button is clicked the picklist field for State is updated to Null. The controller will not allow the information to be saved without that data...so an error message is displayed on the page. 

I am just looking for some basic advice on where to start with debugging this because I'm an admin that has taught himself to write some apex and visualforce. The is the first time I've had a browser based issue and I'm not sure where to start. I've started to play around witih IE's developer tool...a little overwhelming. 
Phillip SouthernPhillip Southern
Is there any javascript or additional scripting on the page?  For the developer tools, there should be a "console" type tab...or a link for java console.  IF there are any errors that would come up there.
akallioWileyakallioWiley
There is no javascript.  Perhaps its because of the <actionStatus> tag?....that is where the Save button is.  

And to further complicate things...I tried to use the IE debugger again today, but could not recreate the issue! Everything seems to be working fine now. 

here's the page: 

<apex:page showHeader="false" sidebar="false" standardController="Contact" extensions="EditContactAddressConroller">
<apex:form id="theform">
<apex:pageBlock title="Edit Contact Address">
<apex:pageMessages />
<apex:pageblockSection title="Department Address" columns="1" rendered="{!addType=='dept'}">
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Name}"/>
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Department_Address_1__c}" style="width:200px"/>
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Department_Address_2__c}" style="width:200px"/>
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Department_City__c}"/>
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Department_Country__c}"/>
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Department_State__c}"/>
  <apex:outputField value="{!cont.Department_Zip__c}"/>
</apex:pageblockSection>
<apex:pageblockSection title="Permanent Address" columns="1" rendered="{!addType=='perm'}">
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_Address_1__c}" style="width:200px"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_Address_2__c}" style="width:200px"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_City__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_Country__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_State__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_Zip__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Permanent_Com_Res_Indicator__c}"/>
  <apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
    <apex:outputText escape="false" style="font-size:15px;color:#CD0000;" value="{!errorMsgPermAdr}" />
  </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>
<apex:pageblockSection title="Alternate Address" columns="1" rendered="{!addType=='alt'}">
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_Address_1__c}" style="width:200px"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_Address_2__c}" style="width:200px"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_City__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_Country__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_State__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_Zip__c}"/>
  <apex:inputField value="{!cont.Alternate_Com_Res_Indicator__c}"/>
  <apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
    <apex:outputText escape="false" style="font-size:15px;color:#CD0000;" value="{!errorMsgAltAdr}" />
  </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>
<center>
  <apex:actionStatus id="saveMessage">
    <apex:facet name="start">
      <apex:image value="{!$Resource.ProgressIndicator}" />
    </apex:facet>
    <apex:facet name="stop">
      <apex:commandButton rendered="{!addType!='dept'}" action="{!save}" value=" Save " status="saveMessage"/>
    </apex:facet>
  </apex:actionStatus> &nbsp;
  <apex:commandButton action="{!close}" value="Close"/>
</center>
</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

Phillip SouthernPhillip Southern
Throw some system.debug statements in the controller so you can take a look at the variable progression as the page processes.  Sounds like it working now?  Could be that page was processing while you were updating/saving versions on the controller. 

Keep us posted if you run into it again.