function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Scott W.Scott W. 

Connected Apps with developer accounts

I have created a connected app through our company's developer account and was wondering if it is okay to use this app in production or do we need another type of Salesforce account?
Wade WegnerWade Wegner
No, you may not use it in production. Per the Developer Services MSA (http://www.salesforce.com/assets/pdf/misc/salesforce_Developer_MSA.pdf) you agreed to when creating your Developer Edition org:

"You may not, without our prior written consent, access or use the Developer Services: for production purposes ..."

You should migrate these assets into a licensed version of Salesforce before using it in production.
Scott W.Scott W.
Thank you, good to know.  Now my next question is which licensed version do we need to purchase to use a connected app for production?
Wade WegnerWade Wegner
It's difficult to advise you specifically through this forum, other than to say you should research the options available thoroughly. To get started, take a look at An Introduction to Environments (http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/An_Introduction_to_Environments) - I think it will help. You will want to get a Production Environment.
Scott W.Scott W.
Basically we work in the tradeshow industry and provide lead capture solutions to our customers and our connected app is going to push leads from our system to our customers Salesforce CRM.  Does that help in determining which version we would need?
Wade WegnerWade Wegner
If that's the case, do you really need your own production environment? Sounds like it's your customer will have to create a Connected App that let's you use OAuth to "push" updates to their CRM. Or do your customers use your Connected App to "pull" from your system?
Scott W.Scott W.
The plan is for our customers to authorize our connected app via OAuth and then our system is going to push the leads through to their Salesforce CRM as we recieve them.