function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
goravsethgoravseth 

How do i deploy permission sets referencing fields in a managed package?

We are rolling out a HRIS built on force.com and I am trying to do things "properly" i.e. in a sandbox, and deploy to production.

So, we have a few custom permission sets that we need to migrate over as we get ready to go live.  When I migrate them via change sets, nothing really comes over, just the permission set name.

Per this help article (http://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=changesets_perm_sets_profiles.htm&language=en_US), In order to get the object settings to come over in a change set, I have to include all the fields in these objects, but as they are part of a managed package, I cant do so!

With some brief testing, it looks like i might be able to get this via workbench / metadata API via manually including the custom object name and fields in the package.xml file, but thats probably more painful than just re-creating the permission set in production, as there are a ton of objects referenced by the permission sets.

Anyways, looking for any insight on how to stay on the up-and-up, rather than granting their consultants full sysadmin rights in production, etc.  

If anyone has experience doing this type of deployment w/ Ant or Workbench, please let me know.  

Thanks!
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Gorav, 

Try using Metadata API , see the steps and more information in the below link, 

http://www.salesforcehacker.com/2013/05/dude-wheres-my-permission.html

Regards,

Ashish

goravsethgoravseth
Thanks Ashish, You will see my comments on that article at the bottom – I have managed to retrieve a package w/ the required metadata, but I cant deploy it bc/ the fields referenced are managed. As far as I have been able to figure this is a huge hole in the platform, which makes it necessary to manually deploy all permissions that reference managed fields. Trying to see if any tool will allow me to do this.
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi Gorav, 

I have read your comment in the SalesforceHacker.com blog

Open a Support case under partner catagory - they can help / advise accordingly. 

Regards,
Ashish

goravsethgoravseth
Thanks again Ashish, You have been very helpful! Unfortunately I have already closed a case w premiere support that was unable to resolve this. Is there a partner channel on premiere support? If so how do I access it? Regards Gorav
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi Gorav, 

Try creating another case with this detail about the Settings included in managed package to be installed by Partner's Customers. 

Use the Case Record Type as Platform / Application Support 

Regardsm
Ashish