function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Baird_SBaird_S 

Can mobile app log in to Salesforce automatically without user input?

We've developed an app to monitor water quality, which will be used by the general public.  We want the app to log in to an organizational Salesforce database and submit its data.  Is there a way that it can log in without user input?
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
The problem with logging in without user interaction is you'd be caching credentials in the application.

Another way to do this is through an anonymous REST API exposed through a Force com site - there's more information at:

http://www.wadewegner.com/2013/03/creating-anonymous-rest-apis-with-salesforce-com/

Baird_SBaird_S
Thanks Bob. Appreciate your tip and the link. A second approach is simply to build a Visualforce page and then insert data there using HTML. Is there an obvious downside to that approach? Baird Logo LeadGreen www.leadgreen.org (301) 775-5944 Organizing is 90% reminder calls. - Fred Ross
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
It depends on the app I guess.  I usually go the anonymous rest api route as I usually build hybrid-local apps and with those, once you go to an external page its difficult to get back unless you opened it in the child browser.