function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Vishant ShahVishant Shah 

Scheduling batch jobs

Hi,

I've got  a scheduled job  for invoicing, using financial force, which starts off a batch job based on SOQL query filters, When this batch job finishes, there is a check to see if there are any more records that need processing and executes the same batch using database.execute.

when the first batch runs the process finishes quite fast, but the next batch takes about 5 minutes to process. I am aware that the batch execution is dependant on salesforce resources, but 5 minutes is too long. I've tried rescheduling instead of executing the batch but this takes similar amount of time.

Is there a optimised or a better solution to do this sort of thing. this is the piece of code in my finish method of the batchable class.

Datetime sysTime = System.now().addSeconds( 10 );
String chronExpression = '' + sysTime.second() + ' ' + sysTime.minute() + ' ' + sysTime.hour() + ' ' + sysTime.day() + ' ' + sysTime.month() + ' ? ' + sysTime.year();

AutoInvoiceSchedule aib = new AutoInvoiceSchedule();
System.schedule( 'EmailInvoicesBatchSchedule ' + sysTime, chronExpression, aib );

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks
Vishant

Best Answer chosen by Vishant Shah
ShashForceShashForce
Hi Vishant,

In general, A batch with low set of records may take long time as compared to batch with large set of records. This is because the general use case of batch apex is to process large number of records faster. Since there is no SLA on asynchronous processes in Salesforce, I'm unable to think of anny other workaorunds. Also, here's some documentation: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=Inconsistent-Behavior-of-Batch-Jobs&language=en_US

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank

All Answers

ShashForceShashForce
Hi Vishant,

In general, A batch with low set of records may take long time as compared to batch with large set of records. This is because the general use case of batch apex is to process large number of records faster. Since there is no SLA on asynchronous processes in Salesforce, I'm unable to think of anny other workaorunds. Also, here's some documentation: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=Inconsistent-Behavior-of-Batch-Jobs&language=en_US

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank
This was selected as the best answer
Vishant ShahVishant Shah
Hi Shashank,

thank you for the prompt answer. I have implemented a workaround for this, Used bulk methods instead of using normal record processing

Regards
Vishant