function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eric BlaxtonEric Blaxton 

Duplicate Account workflow and validation rule

Hi and thanks for your replies.

Requirements were to do a duplicate check on Account Name and Zipcode.   I created a custom field and did the workflow update and validation rule and everything worked great...BUT the error message is ugly.

Is there a way to provide a clean error message?

I ended up writing a trigger, which gives me full control over the error message, but would like to learn a different approach.

Regards.
Best Answer chosen by Eric Blaxton
Anil KamisettyAnil Kamisetty
Hi Eric

You have done what you can do within the boundaries of the Salesforce application. But there is one more way, you can do this but this is with a Custom App.

There are many apps out there (and free too). DupCatcher / Duplicate Check for Salesforce and these can be customized in less than an hour. On the object, you can defined Name and Zipcode to be unique (by specifying either a rule or by assiging some weights). The App will monitor for hte duplicates in real time. When the User clicks on the Save button, automatically it says that the record already exists and show that record in the bottom panel. Thus if the User can use the original record if need be.

Note: If this helps you, please mark the question as answered. Thus helping others too.

All Answers

Ramu_SFDCRamu_SFDC
Hi Eric, other than using standard features like validation rules and triggers for posting the errors, I do not think there are any other ways. Can you please elaborate your question with an example error that you are currently seeing and what exactly you are looking out for?
Eric BlaxtonEric Blaxton
Hi and thanks, I deleted the workflow and validation rule so I do not have the exact message. It said something like, there is a problem with a unique field: field name. The problem is I hid the custom field, so the error message did not make any sense to the user. Through the trigger, I was able to add a custom error message that make sense. "This Account Name and Zipcode combination already exist" Eric Blaxton
Anil KamisettyAnil Kamisetty
Hi Eric

You have done what you can do within the boundaries of the Salesforce application. But there is one more way, you can do this but this is with a Custom App.

There are many apps out there (and free too). DupCatcher / Duplicate Check for Salesforce and these can be customized in less than an hour. On the object, you can defined Name and Zipcode to be unique (by specifying either a rule or by assiging some weights). The App will monitor for hte duplicates in real time. When the User clicks on the Save button, automatically it says that the record already exists and show that record in the bottom panel. Thus if the User can use the original record if need be.

Note: If this helps you, please mark the question as answered. Thus helping others too.
This was selected as the best answer
shan ormshan orm
Hey buddies i see you're sharing essential records there a chunk of brilliant statistics for us everyone loves to enhance their knowledge So right here I percentage useful facts zartash.pk