function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
R SmithR Smith 

Taking a copy of Prod database schema and replacing the Sandbox schema

Hello all.  I am posting under my supervisors name/account.  I posyed a similar question yesterday but I have a little more information now so I appreciate the input and help!

I have been tasked with taking a fresh copy of the PROD database schema and replacing the Sandbox schema database to give us identical database schemas in both environments.  I know most people end up pushing the Sandox to Prod but we need to do the opposite.  I have only been exposed to Salesforce for the past two days sdo it's all very new to me.  However, I do have a strong DBA background (MS SQL Server).

(We have a Enterprise license of SalesForce and I do have access to a UI called "Workbench".)

After yesterday's post I as told I could:

"In Production, go to Setup -> Deploy -> Sandboxes -> Refresh next to your "Full" type sandbox. If you don't yet have a full sandbox, you'll have to create a New Sandbox first."

When I logged into the Prod environment, I see that we have "Developer" type of Sandbox but now a Full type.  Does this matter?  From what I can tell, we do not have a license for a Full Sandbox.  It says, 0 in Use, 0 Available for Full Sandbox licenses.

Should I delete the Developer version and then implement a Full version?  Thoughts?  Advice?  Feedback?

Thanks!
NehalNehal (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

To create a full copy sandbox, you must first have a license for it, as outlined in the article "Sandbox Overview" as below:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=create_test_instance.htm&language=en_US

Even though you have a developer sandbox edition, you do not have licenses for other sandboxes. Sinc e you want the replica of your production Org, you need to have a full copy sandbox licensse so that you can create one and use one.

For this, you can also get in touch with your Account Executive.

I hope this helps. Please mark this as a "Best Answer" if this has resolved your issue.
ShashForceShashForce
Hi,

If you are on enterprise edition, you have to buy a full sandbox from Salesforce to use it. Full sandbox includes both metadata and data from your production. If you want only the metadata and do not need the data, then a developer sandbox will suffice. You can have multiple sandboxes of different types like full, partial data or developer, provided you but them. 1 Developer sandbox is available for free.

So, if you want the latest production schema (metadata only), you can just "Refresh" the developer sandbox you have.

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank