function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
J HilleshJ Hillesh 

Exceeding API Limit and Don't know why- Hopefully someone can help me...because Support won't...

I have been logging cases about this, and since we don't have premium support I was told to log this here.

We are exceeding our API limit and we are not sure why, we haven't developed any custom code so something is making alot of calls.  I was told to buy more, but want to know what is causing the problem before buying more as maybe it is something we don't need and that can be turned off.

The Report below shows that something with client ID = Blank and Outlook  are using up THOUSANDS of api calls per day.  We ONLY have the ability for our 3 sales people to "add" an email to the contact or opportunity they are working on (i.e. Contacts, Events, and Tasks are set to "Don't sync").

API Calls Picture
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
Are these users syncing their Contacts/Accounts with Salesforce? or is it just the add email feature they are using?
J HilleshJ Hillesh
They are just using the feature to add emails they send into outlook.  Contacts, Events, and Tasks are set to "Don't sync"
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
Sorry missed that in the description - so could you confirm if they are using the Side panel or the email to salesforce(Add email) button to add emails to salesforce?
The reason why I'm asking is - Side Panel uses API and when a user clicks on an email - Side panel auto searches for the contact in salesforce irrespective whether the email has to be added to salesforce or not just to load the details on the panel in case user decdes to add the email.

Approx. how many emails do they reps add to salesforce everyday?
J HilleshJ Hillesh
They are using the "side panel" to attach emails.  I just ran an activity report that shows activities for ALL people in the organization by type.  I ran this for Mon/tue so it will correspond with the Data in the graphic from my first post.

I also have no idea what is making the client id "-" blank api calls.

Activities by type in organization
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
Is it possible to break down this usage in the first screenshot you provided  per user so we can narrow down on the users using the APIs the most? 
J HilleshJ Hillesh
Attached is the API report summarized by Client ID AND User.   I modifed so only the 1st names of the people are showing since it is a public forum.

monday
tuesday