function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MendyRMendyR 

"Who owns it?" (Hope this isn't OT)

I'm not looking for an answer to the question as I understand this legally complex and individual  -- but rather I'm looking guidance on how/with whom I can best start understanding this issue. In particular, If you develop a solution in your dev org and years later deploy that as an employee... I mean, right??? 

Also, is there a forum where this discussion would fit, either in the Dev community or even some non-SF community?

Thanks in advance. 

Best Answer chosen by MendyR
Alex BalsitisAlex Balsitis

Under common law, a content creator owns a copyright the moment the work is published. Given a situation where an employee has used an existing work to create a derivative work for an employer, who owns the work? In this situation, one would expect both parties to own the work. However, there are strong arguments that the creator has sold the work. At the very least, the employer has been granted a license to the derivative work.

If it's not written into your employment contract, I'd suspect it could go either way. Many law schools have small business clinics; if it's worth your time to fight for the right to reuse your solution in the future, it's worth your time to contact them. Like you said, every municipality and every case is different.