function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nitin sharmanitin sharma 

Updating cross objects on standard objects.

Hi All,

Can we do cross object updation on standard objects using workflow rules.If we can ,can you please give me the link so that I can go through it.I know I can do that on custom objects having master detail relationship and I can use trigger to achieve it on stabdard objects.However,I want to know if we can use workflow rules on standard objects for cross updation.

Please guide and let me know the link 
Best Answer chosen by nitin sharma
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
You can update cross object from another object thru workflow if there is a relationship between the two .

If there is no relationship - you can go for triggers on the standard object which will help you update content on custom/other standard object.
http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_qs_HelloWorld.htm

All Answers

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
You can update cross object from another object thru workflow if there is a relationship between the two .

If there is no relationship - you can go for triggers on the standard object which will help you update content on custom/other standard object.
http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_qs_HelloWorld.htm
This was selected as the best answer
nitin sharmanitin sharma
Thanks,

Does that mean that  I can update account object from contact object using workflow rules as there is relationship between them .Just remember both are standard objects and I have read somewhere that I cannot update cross objects if they are standard objects.However,it can be done when both are custom objects with relationship.

I might have read some old document that is why I need clarification if I can do cross updation on standard objects with relationship using workflows.

I might well try that as well .

nitin sharmanitin sharma
Yes I can do that.

Thanks