function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Shawn ReichnerShawn Reichner 

Apex Trigger Creation to Sum Case field from Work Order Formula Currency Field

Hello,

First time question here from a Apex Newbie.....

I have a standard object (Case) which will have a currency field, that I want to update from a rollup summary field on a custom object (Work Order) called Price__c.  The Price__c field on the Work Order Custom Object totals all work order work detail lines, and I want the Price__c field to update the currency field on the case record.  

So far I have the following code written, but I am getting an Invalid Ofreign Key error when tring to quick save.  Can anyone help me here......Thank you in advance

trigger DoRollup on SVMXC__Service_Order__c (after insert, after update, after delete, after undelete) {
    Set<Id> setCaseId=new Set<Id>();
    Map<string,decimal> CaseWithTotalWorkOrders=new Map<string,decimal>();
    for(SVMXC__Service_Order__c mst:Trigger.New){
    if(Case.Total_Billable_Work_Orders__c!=null){
     setCaseId.add(mst.SVMXC__Service_Order__c.Price__c);
    }
    }

}
Best Answer chosen by Shawn Reichner
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
My Bad Shawn,

I forgot to add semicolon,try this one :-

trigger DoRollup on SVMXC__Service_Order__c (before insert, before update) {
    List<Id> CaseIds=new List<Id>();

//Populate the CaseIds to the List
    if(mst.SVMXC__Case__c!=null){
     CaseIds.add(mst.SVMXC__Case__c);
    }
    }

// Query the related Case record
   Map<Id,Case> caseMap = new Map<Id,Case>([select id,Total_Billable_Work_Orders__c from Case where id in:CaseIds]);

for(SVMXC__Service_Order__c mst:Trigger.New)
   {
		if(!caseMap.IsEmpty())
		{
			caseMap.get(mst.SVMXC__Case__c).Total_Billable_Work_Orders__c = mst.Price__c;
		}
   }
   // Update case record
   if(!caseMap.IsEmpty())
   {
		update caseMap.values();
   }

}

If this helps,please mark it as best answer to help others :)

All Answers

Anil SavaliyaAnil Savaliya
Hey Shawn,

Can you assign appropriate Recody type for 
Id,You can use for record id only,But here You trying to add some Price__C ,It may number or decimal.
Anil, thank you for your reply, again I am new to Apex and am eager to learn, so needless to say, I am not understanding your suggestion.  Could you please expand?  The Price__c field is the rollup summary field on my custom object that I want to continue to add or sum to the standard object (Case) field total_billable_work_Orders__c.    Does that make sence?   
Ramu_SFDCRamu_SFDC
The problem seems to be at this line setCaseId.add(mst.SVMXC__Service_Order__c.Price__c) . It should be something mst.SVMXC__Service_Order__r.Price__c . For more information review the below link
http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/15244/access-field-on-lookup-relationship-in-trigger
Thank you Ramu for your reply.  I did go to the link, but however that did look to help.  In your reply above you stated..... It should be something mst.SVMXC__Service_Order__r.Price__c .   Is that what I woudl replace my line with exactly?  What does something mean?

Thank you again,
Ramu_SFDCRamu_SFDC
If you ask me specifically I would say try the below two lines one at a time and let me know if that resolved your issue

mst.SVMXC__Service_Order__r.Price__c
mst.SVMXC__Service_Orders__r.Price__c
Here is the new code.....No matter which line I use, I am getting the following error..

trigger DoRollup on SVMXC__Service_Order__c (after insert, after update, after delete, after undelete) {
    Map<string,decimal> CaseWithTotalWorkOrders=new Map<string,decimal>();
    if(Case.Total_Billable_Work_Orders__c!=null){
     mst.SVMXC__Service_Order__r.Price__c;
    }
    }

}

The error I am getting is: Error: Compile Error: Invalid foreign key relationship: SVMXC__Service_Order__c.SVMXC__Service_Order__r at line 6 column 6
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Shawn,

How Case and your custom object SVMXC__Service_Order__c are related ,I mean based on which field.
Service Order is related to the Case object by their IDs….meaning When I am in a case record, I have work orders(Service_Order__c) attached to that case in a related list at the bottom.
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
That means Case is parent and Service_Order__c is child.

So,there must be a field on Service_Order__c which would be referencing to Case object,could you check which field is that ??
The only Lookup field on the Service Order object that references Case is a field called SVMXC__Case__c
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Shawn,

try below code :-

CaseIds.add(mst.SVMXC__Case__c)
    }
    }

Map<Id,Case> caseMap = new Map<Id,Case>([select id,Total_Billable_Work_Orders__c from Case where id in:CaseIds]);

{
		if(!caseMap.IsEmpty())
		{
		}
   }
   // Update case record
   if(!caseMap.IsEmpty())
   {
		update caseMap.values();
   }

}

I tried the above code and I am getting Error: Compile Error: expecting a semi-colon, found '}' at line 8 column 4
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
My Bad Shawn,

I forgot to add semicolon,try this one :-

CaseIds.add(mst.SVMXC__Case__c);
    }
    }

{
		if(!caseMap.IsEmpty())
		{
		}
   }
   // Update case record
   if(!caseMap.IsEmpty())
   {
		update caseMap.values();
   }

}

This was selected as the best answer
I believe we are hopefully getting closer.....I am now getting the error Error: Compile Error: Illegal assignment from Decimal to Id at line 18 column 45
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Shawn,

it seems your field datatypes  are not correct,will have to see then I can modify it accordingly.But,I gave you the approach as how you can do it.
Vinit,

Thank you very much for your work and time.  I will play with the field types and learn a little more about which field types are not allowed in code as I never ran into this issue before.  Thanks again.  
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Happy to help Shawn :)