function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sk3501.3915272120779841E12sk3501.3915272120779841E12 

Custom Field Deletion

Hi,

I am not able to delete the custom object's field from eclipse. I am deleting the field and when i am trying to save, It's rolling back the changes.

Please anyone knows how to delete the custom objects field.

And also i am using the latest version of Force.com IDE.

Please suggest me as soon as possible.
Chidambar ReddyChidambar Reddy
Please check if the field is being used in any of the program/ code

Please try deleting in the UI sothat it will show , what are the dependent components that are using that field

Thank you
Abi DuthuAbi Duthu
Hi,

Uncheck the option "Build Autamatically" under the section "Project" in Eclipse.
srlawr uksrlawr uk
As far as I am aware, you cannot delete a field from a custom object (or make any particulally destructive changes) via the metadata API (which the force.com IDE uses).

If you wish to delete a field on an object, you need to do so through the browser (Setup > Create > Objects) and then in the force.com IDE right click on the file name > force.com > "Refresh from server" and you will find it gone. To make destructive changes remotely like that, you will have to use the migration tool (details here (https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_Migration_Tool)) or of course, download the open soruce code for the force.com IDE and rewrite it :D

You can check out this blog post (http://cloudisfuture.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/salesforce-understanding-eclipse-ide.html) for more information on the force.com IDE and metadata API, which includes a list of limitations (not limited to):
  • Cannot change the API name of an existing field. It will simply create the new field.
  • Cannot delete existing picklist values
  • Cannot delete fields
  • Cannot change some field type (eg tried to change afield from autonumber to text but it didn’t make the change).