function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt FolgerMatt Folger 

Error: Formula result is data type (Text), incompatible with expected data type (true or false).

Hi, my previous question had different errors when trying to setup this same result as a Formula field, now I'm doing it through Workflow Rules / Field Updates and experiencing different error messages.  It all seems to boil down that I can't check to see if a Text field is null(blank) using the "ISBLANK" logical unit.  I don't know why that would be an issue, as the ISBLANK function is supposed to work with Text fields as per the online help guide.  

Right now my formula looks like this:  

IF(ISBLANK(Response__c ), "Responded", "Original")

And my error looks like this:

Error: Formula result is data type (Text), incompatible with expected data type (true or false).

Rather odd, I don't get it.  
Best Answer chosen by Matt Folger
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
LOL, doubly true!  I was really out on a limb complicating this one.  The formula (since this is part of a workflow rule) actually should look like this below:

NOT((ISBLANK(Response__c)))

Then the next page deals with the field updates!  Man, I was really overcomplicating this one!

All Answers

Pavan Kumar KajaPavan Kumar Kaja
Matt,

IF condition should like below

IF((ISBLANK(Response__c), "Responded", "Original")

Matt FolgerMatt Folger
When I try that I get this error:  Error: Syntax error. Missing ')'

When I add the ')' that it asks for it gives me this error: Error: Formula result is data type (Text), incompatible with expected data type (true or false).

At this point in the error messages, I'm out of ideas.  I'm trying to set this all up under Workflow rules, as trying to set this same logic under a Formula Field failed for similar reasons.  I don't know why checking if a Text field is NULL/BLANK would not be supported, I've used nearly the exact same logic on Dropdown boxes, number fields, etc.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Wow, once again the old maxim of "it can only seem to be so complicated before you realize it is something so simple" strikes again.  The formula should look more like this:

IF((ISBLANK(Response__c)), Inquiry__c="TEST123", Inquiry__c="Test9001")

The problem was that it didn't specifiy which object field was going to be changed and updated accordingly.  Now I have another issue, that I can't set (using this formula) the values of a dropdown list, but that is a seperate issue.

Cheers.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
LOL, doubly true!  I was really out on a limb complicating this one.  The formula (since this is part of a workflow rule) actually should look like this below:

NOT((ISBLANK(Response__c)))

Then the next page deals with the field updates!  Man, I was really overcomplicating this one!
This was selected as the best answer
Praveen Kumar 957Praveen Kumar 957

Error: Formula result is data type (Number), incompatible with expected data type (true or false)