function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mike FitchMike Fitch 

VF helptext not working

I have a visualforce form that i use for a custom object. The help text works with all fields except these:

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Precall Planning Questions" columns="1">
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question1__c}" label="What is my long range sales target for this account?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question2__c}" label="What is my specific objective for this call?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question3__c}" label="What do I plan to show? (Product, demo, sample, chart, etc.)"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question4__c}" label="Who or What is your competition and what are their disadvantages?  What is their primary advantage?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question5__c}" label="What benefit or solution can you provide to this customer?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question6__c}" label="What is the monetized value of your solution?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question7__c}" label="What is your 'TARGETED BENEFIT STATEMENT'?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question8__c}" label="What needs analysis questions do you intend to ask?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question9__c}" label="What is your sellers leverage?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question10__c}" label="What objections do you anticipate?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question11__c}" label="How do you plan to overcome these objections?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question12__c}" label="What closing techniques/statements will you use?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question13__c}" label="What potential value can you bring to this customer?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question14__c}" label="Who else is on this call and what is their role?"/></p>
            <p><apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question15__c}" label="In 30 words or less, define the account strategy; include necessary resources to support."/></p>
        </apex:pageBlockSection>

I'm not sure why it doesnt work for these fields only. Can someone help me? Thanks
Vidhyasagaran MuralidharanVidhyasagaran Muralidharan
<apex:pageBlockSectionItem helptext="">
use this to add helptext
Mike FitchMike Fitch
I tried adding your suggestion and it removed my label and also showed no help text.
Vidhyasagaran MuralidharanVidhyasagaran Muralidharan
String Field_Name=SObject.Field__c.getDescribe().getInlineHelpText();
call this in helptext attribute.Also refer this thread
https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/ForumsMain?id=906F00000008lVJIAY
Mike FitchMike Fitch
I tried adding the following:

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem helpText="{!$ObjectType.Precall_Plan_2__c.fields.Question1__c.InlineHelpText}">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question1__c}" label="What is my long range sales target for this account?"/>
            </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>

Unfortunately it removes my label and there's is still no help text. Why does it remove the label?
Mike FitchMike Fitch
Vidhyasagaran,

I looked through the thread you posted and I've gotten this far:

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem helpText="{!$ObjectType.Precall_Plan_2__c.Fields.Question1__c.inlineHelpText}">
             {!$ObjectType.Precall_Plan_2__c.Fields.Question1__c.inlineHelpText}
            <apex:inputField value="{!Precall_Plan_2__c.Question1__c}" label="What is my long range sales target for this account?"/>
            </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>

It now has the hover over help text icon but it also replaced the inputfield label with the helptext. The label still will not show. Any suggestions?