function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kiransaravikiransaravi 

SOA to Salesforce Shift

Hi

How are you doing!
I'm an Oracle SOA Consultant with a solid experience on all of the SOA stack viz. SOA, BPM, OSB, Security. Earlier to that, I was in Java for abt 3 yrs.
I'm looking forward to learn Salesforce and shift my career into this for good.

I want to know what is the pre-requisite for learning/getting into Salesforce? Should I have a CRM experience? Or should I have command on any specific technologies? Or what should be the approach to get into this field.
I'm very focussed on spending time and learning this new technology, but I'm so new to this that I'm confused with terms like Salesforce1, force.com, etc.
I can spend some time to know these terms, but it would be great if you guys who are already familiar with it, or who have shifted your technology to salesforce would answer so that it would be more apt for me.

Could you please give me some links to basically understand the terms involved in this field so that once I get familiar, I can decide what to learn and how.
Appreciate your response.

Regards
RaviKiran
@LaceySnr - Matt Lacey@LaceySnr - Matt Lacey

There are no pre-requisites at all! If you want to write code then a Java background will definitely help you.

Your best bet is to sign up for a new Developer Edition org and start playing around, and check out some of the training material (when you're logged in, go to Help in the top left, then scroll down to the Training section in the bottom left of the new window.

This page is a great way to get going as well: https://developer.salesforce.com/gettingstarted

Salesforce1 refers to the platform in general, though often people using it simply mean the Salesforce1 Mobile application.
Force.com appears to be fading out as a term, it applied specifically to the development (coding) side of the platform while Salesforce tended to apply to the CRM product itself.