function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFDC coderSFDC coder 

Unable to Understand behaviour of login hour restrictions

hi all,

I am unable to understand the behaviour of the feature login hour restrictions.
If a users profile can login from 4pm to 5pm and a user logs in at 4.30 pm then what happens at 5.01pm?

Some have said that it automatically logs out,
some assume that the session goes on but he can only view.Once he tries for any DML operation,hez logged out

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks
Best Answer chosen by SFDC coder
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
I've a little different understanding on it. I think user will remanin logged in but can't do anything. He will be able to navigate to the pages, but won't be able to perform any action, like update delete, insert etc.. not even new record. But user will be in read only mode. I must say we are in controversy again, and I really liked that some posted this.

All Answers

pbattissonpbattisson
At 5pm the user will be effectively logged out meaning they cannot perform any DML statements or open any news pages. The page they currently have open they will continue to be able to view and see but upon navigating away will be informed that they are logged out.

Because the session is stored on the server it is only when the user sends a new request to the server (i.e. DML or navigation) that they become logged out. It is the same behaviour as when you are logged in to SFDC with a page open, walk away for a meeting and come back later.
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
I've a little different understanding on it. I think user will remanin logged in but can't do anything. He will be able to navigate to the pages, but won't be able to perform any action, like update delete, insert etc.. not even new record. But user will be in read only mode. I must say we are in controversy again, and I really liked that some posted this.
This was selected as the best answer
pbattissonpbattisson
Okay so I did some digging and Ankit is correct, the user will remain in read only mode.

So to clarify - at 5pm the user is not logged out but switched to be in read only mode where the normal session timeouts still apply. They can navigate and view records but cannot perform any DML operations. As soon as they attempt to perform a DML operation they are then logged out of the system and cannot re-enter.

SFDC coderSFDC coder
 thanks Ankit & pbattisson

this is just to confirm,when a user performs a dml for eg:when he inserts(click on save) will the record be saved before logging out?.I think it wont be saved but just to confirm

Thanks

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
Nope, record will not be saved if time is above 5 PM. They can only view and can't perform any DML.
Sunil Shah 12Sunil Shah 12
Hi SFDC coder, I had the similar question. Thanks Ankit Arora & pbattisson for the answers :) 
Shiv.Prateek.SharmaShiv.Prateek.Sharma
Ankit ans is correct and best defined from pbattisson. Any change on data or DML he will be logged out from application.
paulson cpaulson c
Hi I have a question related but not same. Can we restrict Login Hours for an individual user? Or should it be done on behalf of a Profile. I tried doing it for an individual user but not working as expected. I had set the time till 6:55 PM but the user is able to login even after 6:55 PM. Has anyone tried this blocking User Login Hours?