function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Venkatramanan LakshmananVenkatramanan Lakshmanan 

Knowledge base display for mobile

Hi,

We are planning for a mobile application development. For this application, we need to use the knowledge base to show articles, add new articles etc,. We came across the Public Knowledge Base (PKB) provided by salesforce itself in appexchange. It is well suitable for the desktop application (i.e. view, searching, applying filter and display search results etc,.), but how to expose the PKB through mobile? is it feasible? Is it just a way of displaying kbs or is it a separate module for mobile? Does it use the same KB module?

Please share some ideas and suggestions for doing this asap.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Version 3 of the PKB works on mobile devices:

https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000059QxXEAU

but this will be as an HTML5 application. If you are building a hybrid application you should be able to open the PKB through the childbrowser with minimal effort.
Hey bob_buzzard,

Thanks for the reply.

actually, i have downloaded this PKB and set up in my org with force.com sites and i can open this PKB in desktop browser. but i tried to open this using the salesforce1 mobile app, i dint find the sites to open this in mobile app. Just tried to open and see how it looks in mobile, since this salesforce application is said to be used in mobile too. 

Also, how this can be done using the salesforce1? Like, how we can develop using salesforce1 (using VF pages?) and where we can host this mobile app?
any idea / suggestions / link to study about this as i am new to salesforce.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
You should be able to create a Visualforce page that simply iframes in the page from the site - then make the page available in Salesforce mobile, create a VF tab and add that to the mobile navigation menu.

There's more information on this at:

http://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000188546&language=en_US
Hey bob_buzzard,

Thanks for the reply.

Does this salesforce1 application will be hosted in salesforce itself ? Like i have developed my custom VF pages suitable for mobile and host in same force.com sites, which can be accessed from the mobile?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Salesforce1 runs on the mobile device, but displays data nand pages hosted in salesforce.  You don't need to use force.com sites if you can access the visualforce pages directly, as you can just make those available to the menu.
Thanks for the reply which is very useful for me in this mobile application.

Also, i can provide a login VF page and make the user login to the application. Is there any user or user license restrictions on this? Say for ex, can i make all my customer portal users to login to this mobile application? Does the High Volume Customer Portal license users can be allowed to login to the mobile application?
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
I don't think portal users will be able to login to Salesforce1 - community users can access the HTML5 mobile application.

Probably the best thing to do is to try out the Salesforce1 application with a test account that you have setup with the appropriate license.  That will show what is possible and what isn't.
Is there any help links or PDFs available for trying out this salesforce1 application which would help me in trying the above as you suggested.

Also, what happens if i develop this mobile app as an external one to the salesforce i.e. External Mobile Application which connects salesforce and do functionality stuff? I dont want to do SSO for this, so any other way of achieving this? External app is like android or iOS mobile app.

Thanks