function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zgcharley_09zgcharley_09 

Can I open record editting page by known instance URL and record id?

If I only know instance URL and the record id, may I combinate a like address to open the record editing page?

record editting page

When I open a editting page, the like looks like: https://na3.salesforce.com/0015000000szXbM/e?retURL=%2F0015000000szXbM. Besides the instance URL and record id, it still has a query param: retURL=%2F0015000000szXbM. What this query param?How can I get it?

Thanks
Charley
Best Answer chosen by zgcharley_09
Prem_PalPrem_Pal
Hi Charley,

Yes, you can open an edit page even if you know just the record id, that is the only information needed.

The format is https://(instance).salesforce.com/(recordid)/e

Here 'e' means that this is edit mode for record.

The retURL is the return URL parameter which is appended to the URL to identify where the page should go in case you click the Cancel or Save button.

So, in the screen shot above the page will be redirected to the view page(as the retURL is set to the Account record ID) when you click on Cancel or Save button.

Hope, this helps!

Thanks,
Prem

All Answers

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
Hi Charley,

retURL=%2F0015000000szXbM is the return URL where the EDIT page will be redirected after the save on Edit is made.

retURL is the param and %2F is used for URL encoding followed by the same record ID: 0015000000szXbM of the record being edited.
Prem_PalPrem_Pal
Hi Charley,

Yes, you can open an edit page even if you know just the record id, that is the only information needed.

The format is https://(instance).salesforce.com/(recordid)/e

Here 'e' means that this is edit mode for record.

The retURL is the return URL parameter which is appended to the URL to identify where the page should go in case you click the Cancel or Save button.

So, in the screen shot above the page will be redirected to the view page(as the retURL is set to the Account record ID) when you click on Cancel or Save button.

Hope, this helps!

Thanks,
Prem
This was selected as the best answer
AmitdAmitd
Hi Charlesy,

I agree with Sonam. There are couple of things related to retURL. 1. %2F is '/' and 2. After %2F it can be any id or if it is a custom implementation it can be a visualforce page name as well.
For e.g. If your are on Account detail page and you click on the the edit link for a Contact in the related list  then the retURL will have ID of the Account record. So it totally depends upon where you want to go either after saving your record or on clicking of cancel button.

Hope this will help you understanding the retURL param.
zgcharley_09zgcharley_09
Hi all,

Thanks all for your reply, all answers are helpful to me. For better reference to other persons who looking for this, i select Prem's answer as best.

Thanks again!

Charley