function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt FolgerMatt Folger 

How to Uninstall a Custom App

I've built a custom app, now I want to uninstall it from Production, but I can't find how to do so, and deleting it doesn't work either.  Help!
Best Answer chosen by Matt Folger
Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma
Means did you deleted the class ? Do you see any problems reported ?

Steps will be :

1. Go to any class or page that you want ot delete ?
2. a pop up will come whether you want ot delete it from server also, answer it
3. Make sure no issues or problems are reported, if reported than resolve them.

All Answers

If you have created a custom app then you could delete it. https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=dev_remove_app.htm&language=en_US

Are you getting any error while deleting app. Please share the error message.
Ravikant kediaRavikant kedia
You can go to setup->Create-> Apps
Delete the app but if you ar eusing any apex,vf page under that, then it will give you reference error. Hence, you need to delete individual references first and then del the app.
Ravikant Saini 1Ravikant Saini 1
From Setup, click Create | Apps.
Click Del next to the app.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Ok, think I dug myself in a deeper hole now.  I've deleted the App, but the pages and classes are still there and I can't delete those.  I think if I tried to redeploy the app now I'd be in even worse shape.  In the classes/controllers for example there isn't even an option to delete anything, so how I'm I to be rid of these Application components?
I think you are on a production Environment thats why you do not see delete option. If you are on production then do you have eclipse ide. If not get it and then get production classes and pages and other component that you want to delete. You can delete the classes and pages from ecipse ide.

For IDE you can see this :

https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_IDE
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
What's better?  Should I download Eclipse (and what version for that matter?) or the Force IDE?
you could have it the latest version available. It is Force.IDE follow the steps in the URL that I shared. You will see a section : 

Installation
Start developing applications today with the Force.com IDE. Sign up for a free Developer Edition ( http://www.apexdevnet.com/events/regular/registration.php?d=701300000009Ur7 )  account, then follow the Force.com IDE installation (  https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_IDE_Installation )instructions.

Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Ok, cool.  I installed the Java kit first and then Eclipse and then the Force.com IDE as described on this.  Now I need to figure out how to plug it into my Prod environment so I can delete components to my heart's content.
Follow the steps : https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_IDE_Installation 

Let me know if any issues.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
I have completed all the steps on that list, but don't see anywhere in them, nor in the program (yet) where I can actually connect to my Sandbox or Production environment.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
(Sorry to be such a newb.)  Job retraining is fun!  =^D
you need to create a project first. follow these steps to create the project which will show all of your production org components.

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=Getting-started-with-Eclipse-Project-IDE-Force-com-Force-com-IDE&language=en_US
No issues, purpose of forum is to ask question. Just make sure that once it is resolved mark it as Answer so others could benifit from it.
Glad that your issue is resolved :) . 
Means did you deleted the class ? Do you see any problems reported ?

Steps will be :

1. Go to any class or page that you want ot delete ?
2. a pop up will come whether you want ot delete it from server also, answer it
3. Make sure no issues or problems are reported, if reported than resolve them.
This was selected as the best answer
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Well, that was interesting.  I deleted it out of my Eclipse console and it's still in Production.  Apparently that only deleted the local 'copy' of the object and not the actual thing.  How would I apply those changes up to Production?  

Sorry for the false alarm in thinking that this was fixed.  I'll also browse the links to see what I can find.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
When I try and delete one of the classes from the developer console I get this:

Cannot complete this operation. This apex class is referenced elsewhere in salesforce.com. Remove the usage and try again. : Visualforce Page Cannot delete classes/triggers in production. Use compileAndTest verb to delete. : null
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Then I can't delete the page that this controller is referenced to either.

The page you have tried to delete is currently being referenced by a page, custom link, button, web tab, dashboard, SoftPhone layout or custom sidebar component. Please delete the reference before deleting the page.

Chicken and egg problem here.

Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Hmm, when I deleted things from Apex it didn't notify or ask me at all if I'd like to delete them from the server as well, it just did it.
I think the code you want to delete is refered in other places so you need to delete those first or if you can not dlete them as they are useful then remove the reference by commenting the code.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Well shoot.  Anything I try to delete points further back to things that I still can't delete until I hit the Apex Class/Controller and then that doesn't even have an option to delete at all.  

So then I go into the Dev Console.  I find the Apex Class in question and try and delete it and I get this:

Cannot complete this operation. This apex class is referenced elsewhere in salesforce.com. Remove the usage and try again. : Visualforce Page Cannot delete classes/triggers in production. Use compileAndTest verb to delete. : null

Matt FolgerMatt Folger
The whole reason I tried this to begin with is because I changed a field on the backend from a Date field to a Formula Field (that outputs a Date).  It couldn't push that to production from Sandbox, and as the "uninstall" function doesn't exist I thought to delete the App and all its packaged stuff so I could redeploy it.  

Ugh, what a pain.  Can't believe this wouldn't be easier in 2014.  

Thanks for all your help, any advice still much appreciated.

I'm going to go and use Dataloader.io to wipe all the data from the program in Production and then see if I can redeploy.  
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
The workaround that I found was deleting the custom field causing the grief in the Sandbox and creating a newly named field that did the exact same thing, then redeploying the app.  How annoying.  

Much thanks for everyone, seems I never have straightforward problems.
Dan McManusDan McManus
How do I remove an app from showing in the navigation dropdown?  It was created accidentally on my prod site.