function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Michael SalgoMichael Salgo 

Looking to Replace HomePageComponent Custom JavaScript Component

Hi there,

I am new to developing in Salesforce and I inherited an app that my company is trying to launch.

To broadly describe one aspect of the app, we allow our app to interact with any Salesforce object that a customer may choose our app to interact with.

We have a HomePageComponent custom JavaScript component which checks to see if the current Salesforce object page which is open is interacting with our app and if it is, then we dispaly a button next to the "Cancel" button in the Edit screen.

Salesforce is doing away with JavaScript in the HomePageComponent custom components in Summer '15 and it looks like they are starting early in disallowing apps to be submitted that have this in place now.

What would my alternative(s) be to accomplish this same desired behavior?

Thank you very much,
-Michael
RadnipRadnip
If its just buttons then create them as custom object buttons. Drawloop, Conga etc do something similar where they tell users who create create the custom javascript buttons on the objects they want the buttons to appear on.
Heya, Radnip. So are you saying to just instruct the end user to create the custom JavaScript buttons themselves on the objects that they want the button to appear on?
RadnipRadnip
Well you can package all the buttons for the standard objects and then ask them to add the buttons to the page layouts they want them on. Its just the custom objects you're going to have issues with IE having to get them to create them and add them to the page layouts. OR you could create an app to generate the buttons and add them into the users org. There basically isn't an easy replacement to the javascript left nav hack.

Another alternative could be a browser plugin? but again not ideal.
Thanks, Radnip. One other caveat: the HomePageComponent custom component's JavaScript puts a button on the object's edit page. What are my options to create a button on the edit page or on the primary object page next to the "New" button? I wouldn't want to create a VisualForce page to replace the end-users set of pages for standard Salesforce objects.

Thanks,
-Michael