function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFDC TechSFDC Tech 

Consolidating salesforce.com instances?

Hi,

We are consolidating(merging) 2 salesforce.com instances.
What are the key things to consider during this process?
Please advise!!

Thank you!!
Best Answer chosen by SFDC Tech
Cory CowgillCory Cowgill
1. Multiple Languages will require the use of the Translation Workbench. Standard Fields and Lables are automatically converted into Users Language. For all other custom fields, objects, and custom label you will need to use the Translation Workbench. If you have different translations between the orgs you will need to pick one translation.

2. Mulit-Currency (MC) has big impacts. For example, if one org has multi-curency enabled and the other doesn't, and the Org without MC has lots of Formula Fields doing currency calculations with Rollup Summaries you can break the calculations. http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/32122/deployment-error-the-summarized-field-in-not-deterministic

3. I don't have any good guidance on Chatter for multi-orgs. This is usually the least impactful item on all projects I have executed, but I largely do Financial Service implementations where Chatter is often the last item on the table.

You will certainly save on licensing costs by moving to a Single-Org, and improved Reporting Capabilities.

All Answers

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill
This is a very large question to ask on the forums. Salesforce Org merges efforts can vary on a whole magnitude of factors. If you are asking this question on the developer forum I would seriously advise you set yourself up for success and get a partner to shepherd you through this.

That being said, some very important considerations:

1. What do the two Orgs Data Models look like? Are they all using same Objects, Fields, RecordTypes, etc? Do they have the same custom objects? What types of physical data transformations will you need to do to merge the data?

2. What are the Security configurations between the Orgs? How will you merge the Role Hierarchies, Territory Management, Record Ownership? What are the OWD Security Settings? Are they all Public/Private/ETC? Mismatches between your Orgs will cause records to now not be visilble if this is not thought through.

3. What types of customizations exist in the Orgs? Are there Apex Triggers / Workflow Rules / Visualforce PAge Overrides that will conflict with the Merge? Customizations can increase the difficulty of a merge by orders of magnitude.

4. Who will run the Data Merge? Cleaning Data, Setting Up Reports, ETC. This can be a time consuming job and one where someone needs to know the data to effectivly merge and clean it.

I hope that helps.

SFDC TechSFDC Tech
Thanks for advise and info!!

We are working on this project as a team, and i am now kind of analyzing the pros and cons?
for example i would like to know the pros and cons of having chatter, multiple currencies and multiple languages in one org and bringing in those to the other.

Any info specifically on these would be really helpful!!

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill
1. Multiple Languages will require the use of the Translation Workbench. Standard Fields and Lables are automatically converted into Users Language. For all other custom fields, objects, and custom label you will need to use the Translation Workbench. If you have different translations between the orgs you will need to pick one translation.

2. Mulit-Currency (MC) has big impacts. For example, if one org has multi-curency enabled and the other doesn't, and the Org without MC has lots of Formula Fields doing currency calculations with Rollup Summaries you can break the calculations. http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/32122/deployment-error-the-summarized-field-in-not-deterministic

3. I don't have any good guidance on Chatter for multi-orgs. This is usually the least impactful item on all projects I have executed, but I largely do Financial Service implementations where Chatter is often the last item on the table.

You will certainly save on licensing costs by moving to a Single-Org, and improved Reporting Capabilities.
This was selected as the best answer
SFDC TechSFDC Tech
Thanks a lot for the info!