function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chriscwharrischriscwharris 

Security model for custom apps

Apologies if this has come up before but I have searched the net and these forums and couldn't find a post specific to my query. What I wanted to get feedback on is how people define security or what is recommended when building a generic custom app that will sit on app exchange?

For example, you create an app that you want to put on app exchange but of course have no idea what security model will be in place for each potential customer who takes that app. Being new to this platform I'm not clear on the best way to handle this. Do you define your own security model for the app then the customer must configure their system once they implement the app?

I hope that makes sense! If anyone can recommend a standard process or best practice that would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
BalajiRanganathanBalajiRanganathan
you can use permission set or profile settings while developing the package. the below link will help you to decide
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=distribution_perm_sets_profile_settings.htm&language=en_US
chriscwharrischriscwharris
Thanks, so when the customer buys your app, they have to implement those permission sets and profiles?
BalajiRanganathanBalajiRanganathan
Nope. permission set, customer can use/customize what the package provided  and add users to those permission set.
profile settings, customer can apply to existing profile while installing/updating the package or manually  and as usual they can customize the profile.