function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jeff SusichJeff Susich 

Does a field date update constitute an "edit" of a record?

I have a workflow with an evaluation criteria of "created, and every time it’s edited". 

The object used with my workflow has a custom formula date field that converts a date into the current year. For instance, if the date field that drives my custom field is "1/1/1954", my custom formula date field is "1/1/2014". 

My question is, when 2015 arrives, the above custom formula date field will change to "1/1/2015". Will this be considered programmatically to be an "edit" of the record, and possibly trigger my workflow the same as editing the record?

Suneel#8Suneel#8
You are saying that Custom formula data field 1/1/2014 automaticaly changes to 1/1/2015 when 2015 arrives and this formula field is based on custom field .How does the formula field value changes without a change in the custom field value on which it is based on?If custom field value changes and if it lies in the same object on which your workflow is depending on,it will trigger the worklfow
Phil WeinmeisterPhil Weinmeister
Hi Jeff,

No, it will not. The change to a formula will not trigger a workflow rule. The record must be (re-)saved to the database, which a formula field value change does not do.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Phil