function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sapana WSapana W 

How to enable chatter desktop for organization

Hi All,

I am not able to install chatter desktop on my machine. Being a system administrator I have 'API Enabled', 'Chatter Internal User' permission too. It shows me insufficient privileges error. 
Vijay NagarathinamVijay Nagarathinam
Hi,

Salesforce has decided that Chatter free users aren't allowed to download Chatter Desktop using the link in Chatter. (It's super annoying!) However, if you can get the user the actual install files then they can install it.

These instructions work for most people:

•Download Adobe Air and install it manually on your computer: http://get.adobe.com/air/
•Once Adobe Air is installed, download the Chatter Desktop setup file here: http://na1.salesforce.com/setup/chatterdesktop/desktop.air

If this doesn't work then you can have someone with a Salesforce user license start to install desktop and then give the install file to the free user. The have to have Adobe Air installed first though

Sapana WSapana W
Hi Vijay,

I already tried the steps you mentioned. I downloaded the file from said location and when I was trying to login ..it said "Insufficient Privileges..."
I am using developer edition which I have created recently. Could you suggest what could be the issue?

Phil WeinmeisterPhil Weinmeister
Hi SFDCDeveloper,

I would assume you've checked both of these, but just in case...here are two items to check:

1. What are your Chatter Desktop Settings? I know it seems obvious, but "Enable Chatter Desktop" needs to be enabled.

Chatter Desktop Settings

2. It requires administrator privileges on your machine; do you have that?

Thanks,
Phil
Mitchell FishMitchell Fish
I'm having the same issue in a new Org.  I heard back from a Salesforce engineer that as of Winter '15 Chatter Desktop is no longer enabled for new Orgs of any edition.  I am able to submit a request to have it enabled and will do so, but I've been trying to figure out what replaces it.  Anyone know?  Mitch
Michael Irving 9Michael Irving 9
I am having difficulty installing also.  Just submitted my request to have it enabled on our org.  Also, the download link above ends up with a damaged package (everytime I try).  The functionality of chat in the Salesforce1 app is amazing and our remote users love it.  The staff in the office using desktops have difficulty with the browser based chat functionality.  They are used to the apps that are installed such as Hangouts and Slack providing more robust notifications and simpler interfaces.  I'm interested to see what comes next.