function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
XVLXVL 

Validation for Product Revenue Schedule

I have been looking at this forever. Does anyone have any idea what type of Validation Rule to Use? Please point me in the right direction. 
https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/ForumsMain?id=906F00000008zMqIAI

// Copyright (c) 2009, Salesforce.com Inc. // All rights reserved. // // Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: // 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. // 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the // documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. // 3. Neither the name of the salesforce.com nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this // software without specific prior written permission. // // THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, // INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE // DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, // SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; // LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN // CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, // EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. // // This trigger requires two custom fields and a validation rule. // trigger ProductScheduleTriggerBulk on OpportunityLineItem (after insert) { // // Get prepped by retrieving the base information needed // Date currentDate; Decimal numberPayments; Decimal paymentAmount; Decimal totalPaid; List<OpportunityLineItemSchedule> newScheduleObjects = new List<OpportunityLineItemSchedule>(); // For every OpportunityLineItem record, add its associated pricebook entry // to a set so there are no duplicates. Set<Id> pbeIds = new Set<Id>(); for (OpportunityLineItem oli : Trigger.new) pbeIds.add(oli.pricebookentryid); // Query the PricebookEntries for their associated info and place the results // in a map. Map<Id, PricebookEntry> entries = new Map<Id, PricebookEntry>( [select product2.Auto_Schedule_Revenue__c, product2.Num_Payments__c from pricebookentry where id in :pbeIds]); // For every OpportunityLineItem record, add its associated oppty // to a set so there are no duplicates. Set<Id> opptyIds = new Set<Id>(); for (OpportunityLineItem oli : Trigger.new) opptyIds.add(oli.OpportunityId); // Query the Opportunities for their associated info and place the results // in a map. Map<Id, Opportunity> Opptys = new Map<Id, Opportunity>( [select Id, CloseDate from Opportunity where id in :opptyIds]); // Iterate through the changes for (OpportunityLineItem item : trigger.new) { if(entries.get(item.pricebookEntryID).product2.Auto_Schedule_Revenue__c == true) { //OK, we have an item that needs to be Auto Scheduled //Calculate the payment amount paymentAmount = item.TotalPrice; numberPayments = (entries.get(item.pricebookEntryId).product2.Num_Payments__c); paymentAmount = paymentAmount.divide(numberPayments,2); //System.debug('* * * * Base Monthly Amount = ' + paymentAmount); // Determine which date to use as the start date. if (item.ServiceDate == NULL) { currentDate = Opptys.get(item.OpportunityId).CloseDate; } else { currentDate = item.ServiceDate; } totalPaid = 0; // Loop though the payments for (Integer i = 1;i < numberPayments;i++) { OpportunityLineItemSchedule s = new OpportunityLineItemSchedule(); s.Revenue = paymentAmount; s.ScheduleDate = currentDate; s.OpportunityLineItemId = item.id; s.Type = 'Revenue'; newScheduleObjects.add(s); totalPaid = totalPaid + paymentAmount; System.debug('********Date ' + currentDate + ' Amount ' + paymentAmount); currentDate = currentDate.addMonths(1); } //Now Calulate the last payment! paymentAmount = item.TotalPrice - totalPaid; OpportunityLineItemSchedule s = new OpportunityLineItemSchedule(); s.Revenue = paymentAmount; s.ScheduleDate = currentDate; s.OpportunityLineItemId = item.id; s.Type = 'Revenue'; newScheduleObjects.add(s); System.debug('********** LAST PAYMENT **********'); System.debug('********Date ' + currentDate + ' Amount ' + paymentAmount); } // End If Auto_Schedule_Revenue } // End For OpportunityLineItem if (newScheduleObjects.size() > 0) { try { insert(newScheduleObjects); } catch (System.DmlException e) { for (Integer ei = 0; ei < e.getNumDml(); ei++) { System.debug(e.getDmlMessage(ei)); } // // There should be something here to alert the user what failed! // } // End Catch } // End If greater than 0 } // End Trigger ProductScheduleTriggerBulk

ShashankShashank (Salesforce Developers) 
Could you please elaborate a little more on what exactly you are looking for and post a more readable version of the code?
XVLXVL
The code I found says that a validation rule is required for this trigger to work. I am unsure on the object the validation rule should rest on as well as the logic.