function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Anthony JayaAnthony Jaya 

Need to have Multi language picklist in header to change language of entire community

Hi guys, I would really appreciate if you can help me with this requirement. Is it even possible. Please help!!!
Balaji Chowdary GarapatiBalaji Chowdary Garapati

Hello Anthony,

Interesting question! i havent done it earlier, but would like to confirm few more details:

* Are you looking to change the users langugae based on his input! which is applicable only for that user?

If so it might be possible,
    Make the landing page as a vf page, where user will be shown the drop drown of available languages supported by salesforce from below link:
https://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_meta/Content/meta_translations.htm
Once user chooses to update his language, update the LocaleSidKey and LanguageLocaleKey fields of the user which will translate most of the stuff on the UI into the selected language.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,
Balaji

Anthony JayaAnthony Jaya
Thanks Balaji for the reply,
My problem is this, at the user I do not think you can change multi picklist, and you cannot change the language at the user level, for this you need to have admin permision.
Thanks,
Anthony
Deepak BalurDeepak Balur
Have you looked at Translation WorkBench in setups?
Balaji Chowdary GarapatiBalaji Chowdary Garapati
Anthony,

I the above reply i didnt understand what you mean by "at the user I do not think you can change multi picklist" ! If you were worried about field updation which user doesnt have access to is not a problem at all!  there are multiple ways which you can follow to do such kind of updates! 
For eg.,
1)  you can have a webservice which does that for you
2) Triggers doesnt care about the field access as they run on system admin permission context! You can have a field which an user can update which causes another trigger to fire which updates our desired field.
3) You can have email services do that for you! - email from code to the email service, write logic in email service to update the user record
4) You can have a batch job which runs nightly using system admin login to update all the users with the requests. - create an object which holds user requests and process them nightly

So, i just wanted to confirm whether user language change is some thing that you are looking for!

Hope it helps:

Thanks,
Balaji