function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Puneet Mehra 14Puneet Mehra 14 

Data update challenges

I am trying to update a set of records that were given to me with an Excel spreadsheet

1. The Name field on there is an Autonumber
2. I have no other unique fields I can use as an External ID

Here's what I've tried so far:
1. DataLoader doesn't allow me to do an upsert by matching on autonumber fields
2. I've tried using the Data Import Wizard on Salesforce to make an upload but that application always has a problem reading my csv file, so I am never able to proceed to field mappings

This leaves me in a tricky situation, having to tap into our mySQL database to first get record IDs and then do a data upload.

Is there a better way?

Best Answer chosen by Puneet Mehra 14
Balaji Chowdary GarapatiBalaji Chowdary Garapati
You have left with only two ways:

1) Use the autonumber to query the salesforce ids and use the ids to update the records.
2) Create a temporary field mark it as external id, populate all the records with the same value as autonumber in the newly created field and use that field to upsert your records.

Hope it helps.,

Thanks,
balaji

All Answers

Balaji Chowdary GarapatiBalaji Chowdary Garapati
You have left with only two ways:

1) Use the autonumber to query the salesforce ids and use the ids to update the records.
2) Create a temporary field mark it as external id, populate all the records with the same value as autonumber in the newly created field and use that field to upsert your records.

Hope it helps.,

Thanks,
balaji
This was selected as the best answer
Puneet Mehra 14Puneet Mehra 14
Thanks for the Pro-tip Balaji. I used DatalLoader to first query the Id and Name for my target object and then performed a vlookup to populate my original table with the record IDs