function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Summer TuckerSummer Tucker 

creating wizard in visualforce

Hi All!  I am following this tutorial and do not understand step 4.  I follow the entire step and do not see a "create apex controller newOpporutunityController" option.

http://developer.force.com/cookbook/recipe/creating-a-wizard-with-visualforce-pages

Please help!
Best Answer chosen by Summer Tucker
Jason Reiber [ACS]Jason Reiber [ACS]
Oh, are you doing this in your Production environment?  You can't create/edit Apex classes in Production, you can only view them or deploy them.  If you're just doing this tutorial to learn something new then I suggest that you sign up for a free developer edition account and do the tutorial there.  If you are trying to build this for real then you'll need to do it in a Sandbox environment first and then migrate it to Production from there.

All Answers

Summer,

It means that once you add the controller="newOpportunityController" code to the apex:page tag in the VisualForce page, hit save.  Once you try to save it, it will throw a warning and give you a links to create the apex controller.
Hi Jason. thank you for the feedback.  I am still not getting the ability to create an apex controller. I have verified development mode is enabled so I am not sure why I don't have the option to create an apex class. I have also tried to do it through develop>apex class> new class but run into the same issue. For some reason I am restricted from adding apex classes.  I am guessing a setting somewhere...

Any ideas?

Thanks all!
Summer,

What Profile is assigned to your User account?  Does it have the "Author Apex" permission enabled?
Hi Jason!  I am steadily climbing to "dumbest user of the day" award. But here it goes:  I am in my user profile and there is no check option for Apex User. The only check option I see with the word Apex is "send warning apex emails".  I am an admin, I have development mode checked. 

Any ideas?  I have read many forums and the results are one of two things 1) add apex user (which I don't see an option to do) or 2) you must be in sandbox or dev mode.  I don't have sandbox on my enterprise edition and I believe I am in development mode. 

Thanks for your patience helping me work through this!

Summer
Oh, are you doing this in your Production environment?  You can't create/edit Apex classes in Production, you can only view them or deploy them.  If you're just doing this tutorial to learn something new then I suggest that you sign up for a free developer edition account and do the tutorial there.  If you are trying to build this for real then you'll need to do it in a Sandbox environment first and then migrate it to Production from there.
This was selected as the best answer
Thanks Jason.  I assumed that since I had force.com installed and development mode checked that all the developer edition features would be available. Guess not. Looking into getting a sandbox.