function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sumit Sarkar 2Sumit Sarkar 2 

Setting up indirect relationship between standard and external object

I'm following a well written tutorial written by @andymahood__c: http://www.tquila.com/blog/2014/11/17/setting-lightning-connect-and-your-first-external-object

When I get to the step #3 ... "Select Edit on the CustomerID field, ...", I don't see Account (or any objects to relate) listed in the drop down box. I have created the custom field on ACCOUNT named CusotmerID Text(5) and marked it as External ID as follows:

CustomerID CustomerID__c Text(5) (External ID) [Checked]

Any ideas?
Best Answer chosen by Sumit Sarkar 2
Carolina Ruiz MedinaCarolina Ruiz Medina
Hi Sumit, 

I just replicate the steps, and I see the problem. If you set up the CustomerId field as a External Id , then account won't appear in the dropdown list, we need to do a little click more when we create the custom field, we need to set up this field as unique in order to be recognise in the Indirect Lookup Relationship. Once you set the field as unique you will be able to see acount and therefore the CustomerId field just after.

Hope it helps :) Meanwhile I'm contacting Andy, just in case this is not the behaviour , but let you know if no :)

Thanks,
Carolina. 

All Answers

Hi Sumit, 

I just replicate the steps, and I see the problem. If you set up the CustomerId field as a External Id , then account won't appear in the dropdown list, we need to do a little click more when we create the custom field, we need to set up this field as unique in order to be recognise in the Indirect Lookup Relationship. Once you set the field as unique you will be able to see acount and therefore the CustomerId field just after.

Hope it helps :) Meanwhile I'm contacting Andy, just in case this is not the behaviour , but let you know if no :)

Thanks,
Carolina. 
This was selected as the best answer
Thank you Carolina - that resolved the issue. I'll now try this against data in our ERP system for a related list of invoices.

Btw, enjoyed the FinancialForce preso at DF14 on magical external objects.
Happy to help and happy it is working now.  Also glad you enjoyed FF preso :)  
Sai Ram ASai Ram A
Hi

I had same issue & managed to complete as per comments above. But i dont see the data when i navigate to Account nor Orders Object. Please suggest 

Thank you
BLearn - Sai
Debadyuti_SilDebadyuti_Sil
I don't even see order related data ohen clicked on any account.It's not blocking me challenge verification of trailhead..i used the external source url provided in trailhead : http://orderdb.herokuapp.com/orders.svc/

adrian cotter 9adrian cotter 9
How do you make the external object ID unique exactly -- I don't see how one is able to do that.
I had to make the custom field on my standard object unique (not the external object field).

Here's the detail from the help: https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=platform_connect_considerations_relationships.htm&language=en_US

Only objects that have a custom field with the External ID and Unique attributes are available as parent objects in indirect lookup relationships. If you don't see the desired object when you create an indirect lookup relationship field, add a custom unique, external ID field to that object.
John TreufeldtJohn Treufeldt
Trailhead and Heroku are not syncing for the Trailhead module: Lightning Connect loaded from:
https://phone-odata-demo.herokuapp.com/devices.svc/

Challenge Not yet complete... here's what's wrong:
There was an unexpected error in your org which is preventing this assessment check from completing: System.ExternalObjectException: data.api.DataSourceException: This data is no longer available. The "Phone" table in the external data source is currently unavailable. Try again later or contact your administrator for help.
Andrew EversleyAndrew Eversley
Hello John Treufeldt, 

I came upon the same error as I was working on a Trailhead challenge " Setting Up Lightning Connect.' Did you get a resolution regarding this error or is this a known issue within Trailhead as far as the Trailhead and Heroku not syncing. Please advise. Thanks. 
Chris BeneschChris Benesch
Same here as Andrew and John, any resolution on that one?
Nichole ParkerNichole Parker
Running into the same issue - using the suggestions didn't work.

Any updates?