function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SalesRedSalesRed 

Can Date Formats Take Time Zone Settings Into Consideration When InsI just thoguht erting Via SOAP?

Hello,

I just thought I'd post a question to confirm something which has come up for discussion and which I did not consider as being a possibility when inserting data.
- I have a client which is inserting data into a custom object via the Standard Soap API and dates they enter are not corresponding to their thoughts on how the data should be entered.  The value is enterering with a value 1 day less than the dates they provide.  The clients timezone is GMT + 8 hours.
- To my understanding the date should enter exactly as it's provided in the XML as it's not a Date/Time field and timezone is irrelevant.
- I've asked the client to provide the SOAP XML in order that I can verify what is provided is different than the final value in SFDC but the client is unable to provide the XML (for some reason debugging cannot be setup for this).
On testing this myself using SOAP UI & changing my SFDC User's timezone  & even changing the time for my own laptop the value I enter in the SOAP request inserts exactly as I enter it without any changes.

I note the following details that issues can occur with dataloader sometimes. I presume it's correct that no impact can occur for dates when inserting via a SOAP request? That dates should just enter exactly as received.

https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=faq_import_general_wrong_date.htm&language=en_US

Thanks for any help clarifying on this.
NaveenReddyNaveenReddy
The Salesforce expect the time zone in  UTC(i.e.GMT) format and dispalys in Users time zone.

Whatever the time format you give SOAP request assumes as GMT format and Inserts.

The displayed format will be in users Time zone.

If user is inserting in GMT+08:00,  salesforce assumes it in GMT and finally dispalys it in Users time zone (ex.GMT+09:00).

Because of this you may see different dates in Client side and SF side.

Thanks,
Naveen,
http://www.autorabit.com

SalesRedSalesRed
Hi,  Thank you for your feedback.  The client has managed to resolve dates they now send to SFDC.  What I was trying to do was understand if there could be an impact other than when viewing dates when logged in for a user with a specific time zone setting.  My understanding is that dates entered will enter exactly as provided in the SOAP XML.