function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ramesh KosalairamanRamesh Kosalairaman 

I am getting Error Please select a choice while run the flow with Dynamic choice screen

Hi All

I am getting Error Please select a choice while run the flow with Dynamic choice screen

User-added image
Best Answer chosen by Ramesh Kosalairaman
ScrapsWillScrapsWill
We just started getting this error (I don't think any users even use the flow that they just had to have urgently built 6 months ago, so i have no idea how long it has been an issue for) :)

Anyway, it is a Dynamic Choice for radio buttons:
Create a choice for each Contact where Contact_Type_c equals "Charity". That pulls only 149 records, but says "Please select a choice" when the user hits Next

All i did to fix was add an additional criteria to limit based on RecordTypeId - where RecordTypeId equals 01290000009L0Cs. This correctly pulls 149 records also, but doesn't throw the error.

Wonder if filtering by record type first prevents the dynamic choice looping through all records and hitting some limit.

Hope that helps!

All Answers

Ramesh KosalairamanRamesh Kosalairaman
User-added image
VarunCVarunC
Did you find any solution to this error?
ShadowlessKickShadowlessKick
There must be a governance limit.  Try to limit your drop down load with a filter and see what happens.  Same thing happened here.  Disappointing.  
Renell CarpenterRenell Carpenter
Doesn't look like this post was ever resolved...I am getting the same error. It keeps saying no value selected but when I inspect the element it shows it is selected (see screen snap). The internal input validation for my dynamic choice seems to have gone awry (although it is working fine for another dynamic choice for a similar drop-down list on another flow screen).  I have recreated the dynamic choice and the drop-down field that uses it but get the same error. Any ideas?

User-added image
There must be over a hundred items in your list.  There are governing limits.  The error message does not appropriately communicate the error.  To test it try to limit your list and see how far you can get.  Unfortunately, I had to use flags and all kinds of nonsense to filter it down.   
Thank you for your response but there are only about 10 items and even when there is only 1 item I still get the error :-( 
I received the same error for a governance issue.  The error you are receiving is hiding the real one.  Hopefully someone will see your post and help. 
Ah. I see. I will see if I can come up with another reason we might be hitting limits or something else (unrelated to the error message). Thanks!
TROGTROG
I too am getting this issue.  Regardless if I have 20 choices, or have filtered down to just 1 choice, I continue to get the same issue.  I'm stumped.  I will try deleting and rebuilding the dynamic query in the absence of any other ideas.
1) Anyone have any success getting past this?
2) What is that code that y'all are posting above?  HTML?  I feel that I'm missing out on using some useful debug tools...
Thanks!
TROGTROG
FYI, I deleted the (admitedly complicated) dynamic query within my FLOW and rebuilt it w/o any luck.  I then deleted that and tried recreating the filters one at a time, and it was again displaying the same errors w/ even a single basic filter.  I even created a FLOW from scratch, with only three steps this time, with only selection filter on the same custom object 'X', and it still throws the issue.  Interesting to note, I changed the object that I was querying (now custom object 'Y') with a similar filter, and it worked.  Think there is a setting on the object that is effecting this?  Or perhaps the definition of a field?  Some filters using IDs work on custom object 'X'...so it's not all or nothing on a given custom object.  I tried a variety of combinations to issolate the issue but I couldn't get there.  VERY eager to hear if any suggestions from you all!  Thanks!!
ScrapsWillScrapsWill
We just started getting this error (I don't think any users even use the flow that they just had to have urgently built 6 months ago, so i have no idea how long it has been an issue for) :)

Anyway, it is a Dynamic Choice for radio buttons:
Create a choice for each Contact where Contact_Type_c equals "Charity". That pulls only 149 records, but says "Please select a choice" when the user hits Next

All i did to fix was add an additional criteria to limit based on RecordTypeId - where RecordTypeId equals 01290000009L0Cs. This correctly pulls 149 records also, but doesn't throw the error.

Wonder if filtering by record type first prevents the dynamic choice looping through all records and hitting some limit.

Hope that helps!

This was selected as the best answer
That certainly DID help -- solved the problem bingo! When I limit the dynamic choice to a single record type it works fine. 

THANK YOU!!
How can I mark ScrapsWill's response as Best Answer and mark this question as resolved? Does @Ramesh Kosalairaman need to do that?
TROGTROG
Unfortunately, I don't think that will resolve my issue, as the object that I'm searching doesn't have any record types defined.  Is there a way to add a filter for a "generic" record type?  Ie. If the object had record types I know how to grab the ID and use that in the selection parameters...but since I don't have any types defined...where does that leave me?  Can anyone think of a 'hack' that I could use to apply the same fix?  I'll start trying to use other arbitrary standard fields to see if any of them help...like 'Name <> Null' or something.
TROGTROG
Annoying.  Ok, so I didn't have a record type defined for this object (b/c I didn't need one), and thus the Record Type field didn't even exist on the object.  I then tried to add each of the Standard fields (ID, Name, Create Date, IsDeleted) as an additional filter criteria, but none of these additions got me past the problem.  I then created a record type, updated one of the records with this record type, adding the record type criteria to the search within my Test flow, and re-searched.  It "worked".  I will now try incorporating this into my production flow (muliple filter critera) to see if this will be an effective work-around.

Note to SFDC:  This is not a FIX.  It's a hack-workaround.  Please FIX this!  My head is now spinning regarding everything I have to update now to accommodate this new - arbitrary - record type that I've added into my system (assuming this workaround does indeed work for my production flows).
TROGTROG
UPDATE, even w/ the additional Record Type field added into the dynamic choice, it's still failing w/ the same error.  It's only retrieving like 10 matching records, but still throwing the same error.  :(  so frustrating!!!
Jonathan Meltzer 8Jonathan Meltzer 8
I am coming to this late, but I have run into the same issue and the error does not have to do with limits.  I tested with an object that has only four records, and made those records the choices for my radio buttons.  The records show up as choices, but when I select one and choose Next, I get the "Please select a choice" message and it will not let me move on.