function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Don McIntosh 3Don McIntosh 3 

Batchable instance is too big

Hi All,

I've recently started having issues with production code whereby an overnight batch started complaining about "Batchable instance is too big". I suspected that the heap size might have at some point exceeded its limits (due to the batch having a stateful shared map that accumulates data across the batch execution blocks). Upon inspection the system was throwing error when the heaps size reached 42% (approx 5.4 million bytes) of its heap size capacity. Confused I called all the Limits class methods at the end of the execution block to see if anything had exceed its limts, yet the only thing even remotely alarming was the heap size, of which again was not exceeding the limit.

In response I tried to replicate the issue with a simple example. The class I created is shown below:

global class TestBatch implements Database.Batchable<sObject>, Database.Stateful
  {
      global Map<Integer, Integer> globalMap = new map<Integer, Integer>();

global Database.QueryLocator start(Database.BatchableContext bc) 
      {
          return Database.getQueryLocator('SELECT Id FROM Account');
      }

global void execute(Database.batchableContext bc, List<sObject> objects)
      {
          Integer i=globalMap.size();
          final Integer interval = 1000;
          for(Integer x=0; x<100000; ++x)
          {
              globalMap.put(i, i);

if(Math.mod(x,interval) == 0) 
              {
                  System.debug(LoggingLevel.Error, 'Limits.getHeapSize(): ' + Limits.getHeapSize());
                  System.debug(LoggingLevel.Error, 'Limits.getLimitHeapSize(): ' + Limits.getLimitHeapSize());
              }

++i;
          }
      }

global void finish(Database.BatchableContext bc) 
      {
      }
  }

This code should easily compile in any sandbox. If you open the command line and enter the following command:

Database.executeBatch(new TestBatch(), 1);

It should iterate throught few times, assuming that there are a few accounts in the system. After two successful execution blocks, the system started complaining with the same error, even though the heap size only reached approximately 2.7 million bytes.

Does anyone have any throughts as to why Salesforce complains about a large instance when it hasn't even reached half way through their enforced limits?
Waqar Hussain SFWaqar Hussain SF
https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000199574&language=en_US (https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000199574&language=en_US)
Mudasir WaniMudasir Wani

Hello Guys,

Probably It may be because of this latest release of salesforce.
See the below link

https://success.salesforce.com/issues_view?id=a1p300000008Y2RAAU

Don McIntosh 3Don McIntosh 3
Thanks Vickey for the link to the documentation, however that was the exact reason I posted this issue to the forum as I've noticed a discrepency between the documentation and the salesforce implementation. Using the basic example batch above, I was trying to show a basic example of where system doesn't even reach 12MB before the platform complains that that instance size is too big. If we were to analyze the batch itself, there is only one stateful variable, the "globalMap" variable. After having run the batch again, i had a look at the debug log and noticed the following results (added a few extra debug logs to my original code):

globalMap.size(): 199001
  Limits.getHeapSize(): 4777647
  Limits.getLimitHeapSize(): 12000000
  Percent Memory Usage: 39.81%

This result happened right before the system complained that the "Batch instance is too big". Notice that the size is SIGNIFICANTLY lower then 12MB, yet it complains. On top of which I'm completley glossing over the fact that if the batch were to be serialized to the database, the size would have been even lower as the system would have to store, theoretically, 1592008 bytes (199001 entries x (4 bytes for map integer key value + 4 bytes for map paired interger value)).
ELEL
I haven't been able to find documentation about this, but yes, in my experience the batchable instance size limit is significantly lower than the heap size limit.  I have found that it's around 7 MB, but as it's undocumented, I don't know if it varies across orgs, editions, and releases.  Unfortunately, you just have to design your batch job with this limit in mind.  Only the data in your stateful (class) variables will count against your batchable instance size.  If you don't need certain class variable data to get persisted between start(), execute(), and finish(), you can either 1) make it a function variable instead and pass it to other functions that might need it or 2) set it to null before the end of your start() or execute() method.  If you do need the data persisted, you can try compressing it and/or saving it to the database (and then retrieving it in the next method).