function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sundeep DangolSundeep Dangol 

adding leads to salesforce

Hi all, I am new to salesforce. We have and external application that identifies and collects leads. We want to push that lead to salesforce. What would be the best way to do that? i reviewed the rest api docs and there is some info on creating new record. Is this equivalent to adding lead in the system? how would we define more fields like address info, phonenumber etc in the json? is there any format or naming convension? And example of adding updating users would be a big help. Thanks!
https://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_rest/Content/dome_sobject_create.htm
NagaNaga (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Sundeep,

You can use the lead import wizard to get in the leads from the external system to salesforce

Here are the requirements and steps for using the Lead Import Wizard ->
https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=lead_import_wizard.htm&language=en

Using the Lead Import Wizard

Prepare your list of names according to the specifications described in Field Mapping for Importing Leads.
Click the Manage Members drop-down button and select Add Members - Import File on the detail page of the campaign you want to update.
Click Import Leads.
Click Browse and choose your import file.
Select a lead source.
Select an assignment rule to assign the leads.
Optionally choose to use assignment rule settings to notify the new record owners.
Select the default member status for leads with blank or invalid statuses.
Select the character encoding of your import file. Most users do not need to change the default setting.
Optionally choose to trigger workflow rules for new and updated records.
Optionally choose to trigger workflow rules for new campaign members. This is only available if you activated the New Campaign Member Creation Behavior.
Click Next.
Map the Salesforce fields to the fields in your import file, then click Next.
Map the Salesforce campaign member status field and any campaign member custom fields to your import file, then click Next. This is only available if you have campaign member custom fields and you activated the New Campaign Member Creation Behavior.
Click Import Now!

Please let me know if this helps

Best Regards
Naga Kiran
Varun PareekVarun Pareek
Sundeep - I havent tried this, but looking at the documetation, can you try to pass more fields as part of JSON? The rows would be key-value combination where key is the field API name in Salesforce.com and value is the actual data. You may want to give this a shot first before going with custom implementation.

If that doesn't work out, you can write a HTTP service in Salesforce.com that would pretty much behave in the similar way.

P.S. - I assume you need a real time integration between your external system and Salesforce.com