function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bhushan Mahajan 5Bhushan Mahajan 5 

What is the actual use of force.com IDE(Ecilipse) in salesforce?.

I am using force.com IDE (Ecilipse) for apex programming.
but I want to know other uses of Ecilipse and its benifits & drawbacks?.
why we are using ecilipse,and the benefites of ecilipse in salesforce,
i see some developer are used to ecilipse why?.

sandeep sankhlasandeep sankhla
HI Bhushan,

Following are the uses of eclipse:

1. You gets the schema in eclipse which you can use to get many things like, inner query..child relationship name , to check whether object is accessible, updateable, quearble..mainly for framing query..

2. You have better readability when we use eclipse, it helps to correct syntax error ...

3. You can do silent deployment to any org from eclipse...

4. Unlimited undo and redo..
5. You can see code history and then you can compare your code with 10 days old code and then you can repalce also..

6. Tabbed views of source code and XML metadata definition

7. If deployment fail it will shows the errors with line number.

8. A version control system allows you to track changes to a set of files over the time.

Also refer below links for same..

http://cloudisfuture.blogspot.in/2013/01/salesforce-understanding-eclipse-ide.html
https://developer.salesforce.com/page/An_Introduction_to_Force_IDE

Thanks,
Sandeep
pbattissonpbattisson
Eclipse is a generic IDE that can be used in developing any sort of application - its most popular plugins are for languages such as Java and C++. You can also develop plugins yourself and if you look at the Eclipse marketplace you will find a large volume of plugins for things such as diagramming with UML through to test and build runners.

Salesforce initially developed the Force.com plugin for Eclipse as their development team was largely made up of Java developers and many of those moving to the Force.com platform were moving from Java making Eclipse a fairly natural fit.

The plugin used the metadata API and recently has been upgraded to utilise the Tooling API instead. A separate Force.com IDE (basically a packaged wrapper of the Eclipse core and the plugin) was released to help developers who didn't want to use the full version of Eclipse.

The main drawback to Eclipse is that it is extremely memory intensive. This caused it to be extremely slow for many developers leading to some creating tools such as MavensMate and others in order to allow them to work without using Eclipse and using their favourite text editors (such as TextMate, Sublime Text and recently Atom). Other people have also had this same frustration and launched cloud based IDEs (for example Brain Engine). This also coincided with the rise of many Salesforce developers utilising newer tools and technologies in integrations for which they were using these other editors.

Salesforce did/do not have the time and people to enable them to creating and maintaining a full standalone IDE such as Microsoft do with Visual Studio or Apple do with XCode. The Force.com IDE itself is now also open source. It is still hoped by many of us that Salesforce will also open source or at least release a version of the grammars for the various languages as well as provide some more poweful abilities via the Tooling APIs as this would allow for more rich IDEs to be developed by the open source community.
Michael Shumenko 11Michael Shumenko 11
I think that the most advantage of Eclipse Force.com IDE is that it is free and officially supported by Salesforce.

But I prefer to use JetForcer, despite it is paid. It provides very smart code editor for Lightning, Apex and Visualforce.

Just try out https://jetforcer.com/get-started
Marco Zisa 2Marco Zisa 2
I would also suggest Salesforce Org Manager, which is an open source project, I am following, proposing an org metadata manager like MavensMate, with treeview rendering of the Org's metadata and the ability to add new classes, triggers and even lightning components on the fly. It works with Visual Studio Code as IDE

For any further information, please have a look to: https://github.com/mzisa/salesforce-org-manager