function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt McCortneyMatt McCortney 

Error when trigger attempts to create Location Record

Hi, I'm writing a trigger that creates a new Location Record using the shipping information from an Account after the Account is created. I'm having a strange problem where there's an error thrown complaining that the Account Name (a required field for creating a new Location Record) is an invalid ID, even though I get no such problem when manually creating the Location Record from the related list on the Account page. 

Here's my code:

trigger SetsLocationAddress on Account (after insert) {

List <PSI_Location__c> locationToInsert = new List <PSI_Location__c>();

for(Account accountInLoop : Trigger.new )
    {
        //tests if account is type Customer
        if( accountInLoop.salesReach__Account_Type__c == 'Customer - Partner' || accountInLoop.salesReach__Account_Type__c == 'Customer - Direct')
        {
            //creates new location record based on shipping address on account record 
            PSI_Location__c newLocation = new PSI_Location__c();

locationToInsert.add(new PSI_Location__c(
            Name = 'Location 1',
            Account__c = accountInLoop.Name, 
            Street_Address__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__Address__c, 
            City__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__City__c, 
            State__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__State__c, 
            Zip_Code__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__ZIP__c));  

}
    }
        insert locationToInsert;
}

and here's my error message when I try to create a new Account (to test if my trigger works):

Error: Invalid Data. 
Review all error messages below to correct your data.
Apex trigger SetsLocationAddress caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: SetsLocationAddress: execution of AfterUpdate caused by: System.StringException: Invalid id: test2: Trigger.SetsLocationAddress: line 13, column 1

So you can see that my error is coming from my line of code "Account__c = accountInLoop.Name," that is trying to fill one of the required fields to create the location record. As I mentioned before, if I try to manually create a location record, I don't have any error creating one no matter what I put for the Account field. So I thought of just throwing out that line of code, but then I get this error:

Error: Invalid Data. 
Review all error messages below to correct your data.
Apex trigger SetsLocationAddress caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: SetsLocationAddress: execution of AfterUpdate caused by: System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: REQUIRED_FIELD_MISSING, Required fields are missing: [Account]: [Account]: Trigger.SetsLocationAddress: line 23, column 1

So I'm pretty confused as to what's going on. I think that it needs to reference the account's id and not the name, but I don't know how to do that since ideally the trigger will fire once the new account is created.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

I also tried making the trigger work "after update" since the trigger should ideally be able to reference the account's ID since it already exists but it's still not working.
PS, I tried to delete the Account Name from the Location Object, but it is labeld as Master Detail(Account) so I can't delete it without messing up the relationships.
I found my problem. It turns out I needed to reference the account's name as Account__c = accountInLoop.Id and not Account__c = accountInLoop.Name. If anyone has a similar problem, I posted my final code below:

trigger SetsLocationAddress on Account (after insert) {

List<PSI_Location__c> locationToInsert = new List<PSI_Location__c>();

for(Account accountInLoop : Trigger.new )
    {
        //tests if account is type Customer
        if( accountInLoop.salesReach__Account_Type__c == 'Customer - Partner' || accountInLoop.salesReach__Account_Type__c == 'Customer - Direct')
        {
            //creates new location record based on shipping address on account record 
            locationToInsert.add(new PSI_Location__c(
            Name = 'Location 1',
            Account__c = accountInLoop.Id, 
            Street_Address__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__Address__c, 
            City__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__City__c, 
            State__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__State__c, 
            Zip_Code__c = accountInLoop.salesReach__ZIP__c));  

}
    }

insert locationToInsert;
}