function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cara ConnerCara Conner 

Email-to-Case Conundrum

My organization has recently undergone some departmental changes, and we are now using Service Cloud heavily because of these changes. Our support team has taken on the task of processing orders, therefore they are bombarded daily from our Sales Team. I have configured Service Cloud with the Email-to-Case feature, which is very handy in that it automatically associates the Contact to the Case based on the email message received. 

Because our Sales team is now forwarding all of its requests for order processing to our Support team, all of the cases that are created from these forwarded emails have the web email set as the Sales person's email address, therefore not associating the case to the appropriate Contact.

My manager is not pleased with this process, because it requires the Support agent to research the forwarded email and look up the appropriate contact to associate with the case, taking a few minutes of their time.

Can anyone think of something that would streamline this process a little more? Is it possible to perhaps examine the email received and perform logic based on some sort of email flag, like a "****" at the beginning of the subject line to indicate that a bit of apex code should be run?

Any and every idea is welcome. I have been wracking my brain about what to do in this situation and nothing is coming to mind.

Thanks!
SwarnasankhaSwarnasankha
Hi Cara!

Is there any definite pattern in the body of the email which could help us clearly identify two things - the email is from Sales for Sales Order for order processing and the second which is most important is to help us determine the email of the Business Contact for the Sold To for the Sales Orders.

Honestly for the first piece of information, we have a couple of ways to get that rolling but the second one is important; does the original email have any specific line like "Business Contact Email - blahblah@blah2blah.com"?

Swarna.
Cara ConnerCara Conner
Thank you so much for your quick response!

As of right now, there is nothing that the Sales person includes in the email body to indicate the email is for order processing, and they are not specifically identifying the business contact.

However, let's say that we require them to do so. Meaning that every email thread they forward to support, they have to include these two items, such as:

"Sales team forward from: Heidi
Business Contact Email: person@email.com"

Is there a way to identify those items in the body of the email and define the web email upon case creation? If so, could you provide any guidance on developing this functionality?